Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's the strangest thing you've ever...

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the strangest thing you've ever...

pulled out of your skimmer?

We haven't had our pool very long so nothing too strange, just a LOT of hair. I have a wife and two long haired daughters. From the amount of hair I pulled from the skimmer basket when we heated the pool over spring break, you would think they'd all be bald by now!

How about the rest of you? Every find anything really weird or surprising in there?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2
    A rodent of some sort (mouse? Small and had a curly tail) and a bird on another occasion. One year of pool ownership.

3. Back To Top    #3

I pulled a mouse out of a friend's skimmer while I was watching his house for him.

Poor thing looked like a space alien by the time I found him.

4. Back To Top    #4

Possum ... He was still alive holding on the lip with his front legs while his back side stuck in the skimmer....He didnt play dead when I came to help him out but he was mad .
    Echo Canyon II by Artesian Pools, 13.5 KGal AG Round, 22" Artesian Sand Filter 2 hp Artesian pump
    Med Lab Tech for 12 years in E.TN
    Chem testing by Trouble Free Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5
    My leather gloves. I was building some decking on a windy day and my gloves disapeared. I looked everywhere. Later I thought I should empty the skimmer basket due to the amount of leaves that were blowing around and there they were!
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

6. Back To Top    #6
    A huge frog!!! OK, I know you are saying, yeah right that is nothing. But I really mean a huge frog. I don't think he liked the saltwater. Take a look for yourself.

MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

7. Back To Top    #7
    Forgot about the frogs. They were a daily occurrence for a while, but nowhere near that big!

8. Back To Top    #8

Those frog legs look like chicken legs... wait a minute, they were marinating in brine, is there a BBQ nearby?

9. Back To Top    #9

A mole. First time I had ever seen one of those things. They are really weird looking, like a mouse with webbed feet!

We've had several frogs too. Too bad hubby is never home when the dead animals are in the skimmer!

One time I thought I had a snake in the skimmer, but it turned out to be one of the dog's play balls! She loves dropping her toys in the pool and then barking at you to get it out!
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Yikes!!!

That frog would have scared me half to death!! That is exactly why I use a hook to take the skimmer top off when I empty it.

The "worst" thing I ever came across was a chipmunk...the same chipmunk I believe I rescued from drowning in my pool the day before...
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    Pentair DE filter
    400K BTU Pentair Mini-Max Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Off topic...sorry

Jnorris......I just noticed you have the same size pool as me! How are you liking the size? I had ordered a 18 X 36 and the pool company was having a special.....they were giving everyone 4 extra feet. I love the length...you can really swim laps and get a pretty good work-out....
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    Pentair DE filter
    400K BTU Pentair Mini-Max Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLee
    Off topic...sorry

Jnorris......I just noticed you have the same size pool as me! How are you liking the size? I had ordered a 18 X 36 and the pool company was having a special.....they were giving everyone 4 extra feet. I love the length...you can really swim laps and get a pretty good work-out....
    We love our pool. It's a 3 bump kidney, and it sort-of curves around our house, so it really doesn't seem as long as it is, as if it were a rectangle. I just wish I had installed 2 lights instead of one. Our pool builder assured us that one light in the middle would be sufficient, but it really doesn't light up the 2 ends very well.

And I'm not a lap swimmer. I'm a "sit on a float in the deep end, while everyone else plays in the shallow end" kind of girl. 40' gives you plenty of room for that!
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: What's the strangest thing you've ever...

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

i pulled a gopher out the other day. that tripped on the panic button until we determined there was no holes in the pool!
    Still holding on to the grass so I wont fall off the planet!!

15. Back To Top    #15

I found one of these angry critters the other day. He was about 3 inches long and thankfully dead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

16. Back To Top    #16

I found a couple of dead mice in the skimmer last week (on different days) and keep finding my daughter's cat peering into the pool like she's lost something.
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm not sure this qualifies because I didn't pull him out. One day I looked out in my yard which has five foot block walls on all sides to see a huge white Alaskan Huskie swimming in my pool. After a couple laps he got out, shook mimself and effortlessly bounded over the wall. Then he proceeded to swim a couple laps in the neighbor's pool. He went fom pool to pool down the block. The last house on the block caught him, and called the owner. The owner said he couldnt keep him home because he could jump any fence or wall. The very next day he was back and repeated the trip going from back yard to back yard swimming in each and every pool down the street.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit