Which Sand Filter is best for replacement?

Jul 31, 2014
Berryville/AR.
I have broken pieces inside my top unit of the sand filter which renders it unfixable. It's rather dated and the handle on the multiport has issues as well.
I thought now would be a good time to replace the whole unit. I believe it is a 24"-30" filter. The pool is 16,000-20,000 gallon inground chlorine pool.

What is the best economic top mount filter?

Welcome to TFP!

What size pump do you have?

I like the Hayward S244T, but it maxes out at around 1HP. The S310T2 would be my choice in the larger size.

The placard is beat up and hard to read but I believe it says it's a 1HP pump. there is also a booster pump I'm assuming was used for a cleaner that is 3/4 HP that's not in use.

My pool guy mentioned he has good luck with the Pentair Cristal-Flo filters and he likes it because it has unions for changing sand.

I like my Hayward S270T but there are downsides to a filter with a top mounted valve. They are a bit more hassle to service and you need to make sure to install unions in the inlet and outlet lines from the valve. Top mount valve filters are cheaper as they are less expensive to manufacture.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

24" to 30" and 16k to 20k are pretty big ranges ... any chance you can narrow it down?

I would try to stay at least as big as a 27" filter.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Everything is dated and weathered so there aren't any Brands or info placards to be exact.
The pool guy guessed the pool to be 16k+ and said use 20K for chemical purposes. He also guessed the filter to be 24"+

I know I'm not much help, but I'm a first time pool owner and know nothing. Had no instructions at all when I bought the place. Worked fine until it started spitting trash back into the pool when I vacuumed. Opened the filter top and found broken pieces of plastic.

I replaced my filter this spring at the start of the season out of necessity. Mine was leaking, falling apart and the valve was shot. I have a 1HP, single speed pump, 30K gallon pool and the old filter was a Pentair 21" sand. WAY undersized. I elected to go with at S270T for a few reasons, despite it being undersized for efficiency and filtering ability. I really should have a 30" plus. However, the largest filter that would fit in the footprint of my concrete slab between the pump and the heater was the 27". I also have a short swimming season here in MN and water is relatively inexpensive, which means I may have to backwash more often due to a smaller filter and I may have to run my pump longer to achieve desired filtration. I haven't had to backwash since SLAMing my pool in May. Running my pump 6-7 hours per day keeps my water sparkling, with some floaters by the afternoon but can't really be avoided. I also don't get alot of pollen or leaves, just mostly bugs and dust for me. I would have gone larger if it made economic and logistical sense but it didn't for me.

Cliff notes: Larger is better. Smaller can work fine, but there are downsides. I think 27" would work but you may be happier with larger over long term.

Side note: I probably have the same old, beat up heater you have. It works... barely but I don't use it.

Everything is dated and weathered so there aren't any Brands or info placards to be exact.
The pool guy guessed the pool to be 16k+ and said use 20K for chemical purposes. He also guessed the filter to be 24"+

I know I'm not much help, but I'm a first time pool owner and know nothing. Had no instructions at all when I bought the place. Worked fine until it started spitting trash back into the pool when I vacuumed. Opened the filter top and found broken pieces of plastic.

You can just measure the diameter of the housing at the widest part with a yard stick, or measure around the widest part and divide by 3.14 to get the size.

If you're going sand filter I would recommend either Hayward, Pentair or possibly Jandy and Jacuzzi. I only have direct expedience with my Hayward. I recommend those, especially the first 2 based on availability of parts, documentation and reputation. If others have brands that they've had good luck with, maybe they should be on the list too.

Search online for reviews, part sources and available manuals/support.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go larger if you can. Sta-Rite is actually made/bought out by Pentair now. If you want that product line, there is a 26". I would go with that if you want that brand. Sand Dollar models by Pentair proper are good too.

Shop around. Amazon has quite a few, that's where I got my Hayward.

I just found a 26" that is cheaper than the 24" due to shipping on one site and free shipping on the other.

If Sta-rite is a good filter I think I'll just go with it due to my pool guy and also the unions that are already installed on the filter for easy changing of the sand and maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

I found a Hayward S244 for $330 free shipping. The Sta-Rite 26" will be $373 free shipping.

Is there a big enough difference in the brands to worry about?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.