New Pool Installation in South Florida - need some opinions/advice

Jul 25, 2014
Coral Spring, FL
Just signed a contract for a new pool and was hoping for some opinions.

I don't have a large backyard, but I do have a small lake view. The patio area is red is going to be screened in with two doors, but I'm still debating on where to install the door that will be used to go from the house to the pool. That door is marked in blue.

Based on the different designs we had from about 5 different companies, this is what we feel is the best design and the PB we feel the most comfortable working with. We also researched all of them and they have no complaints on the BBB and have been in business under the same name since 1985.

The spa is positioned so we can have the best lake view and also since it is raised 12", it won't block our view.
There will be to spa jets in the sitting bench area and 1 bubbler in the sun shelf.

The table on the lower right is probably where I will build a fire pit.

We just signed the contract and are awaiting the engineering plans to sent to us for review before they are submitted for permitting.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the design or equipment list, I would love to hear them.

Equipment:
Hayward VSpeed 3/4 - 2HP for the Pool
Hayward 2HP for the Spa
AirSupply 1HP Air Blower for the Spa
AquaCal T115 Pool Heater - being upgraded to AquaCal SQ120
Hayward AquaRite AQR9 Salt Water Chlorinator.
7 color LED light in the Pool and Spa
6 Jets of varied heights in the Spa

Based on the initial plans, the PB told me its about a 12,000 - 13,000 gallon pool. From the website, I think the AQR3 Salt Water Chlorinator would suffice, however some one told me that if its over powered, then it will work less and I'll save money not having to change out the Cell Cartridge as often. Has anyone ever heard or done it this way before?

Thanks in advance for any replies or responses. I'm going to try to find a picture of the back yard as it is now to help visualize.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/harleyds/Pool%20project/POOLDRAWING7-8-14.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We recommend sizing the SWG cells for 1.5-3 times the size of the pool.

Curious, if you have a big VS pump for the pool, why do you need a big separate pump for the spa? If the pool pump is just for circulation/filtration, then you could get by with a much smaller 2-speed pump for a lot less money. I would just have the single big VS pump and use valves to select the spa.

Try to fix your picture tags as it does not show up.

Hello,
That's a good looking pool.

You typically want to oversize by two to three times the size of your pool. Why? Outputs are based upon 24 hour run times, and usually you'll only need to run your pump 8 hours a day. 8 hours is a third of 24 so increase your output to put out the same amount of chlorine in the shorter time. All pools have a daily chlorine requirement that is determined my many factors such as size, bather load, amount of sun, water temperature, and debris in pool (this is just a partial list), but hopefully you get the idea. You want your skimmer on the downwind side of the pool, so the breeze blows surface debris towards the skimmer. I'd go with the largest SWCG and turn it down, then have to run the pump longer than needed.

I can see the 2HP for the spa, but I think it's overkill for the pool. Maybe a 1HP 2-speed. Electricity is cheap in Florida the cost of the VSP vs the 2-speed you won't get the payback typically. Not sure what they're costing it out as but you may want to look into it.

Have you looked into/considered Solar for pool heating? Are you planning on using a cover? Heating a pool without a cover is like heating a house without the roof.

I'd rather have solar heating vice a pool heater. You can always run the solar at night for cooling if needed.

Hope my ideas gave you something to think about. I do have a heatpump an use it at the beginning of the season and end of the season to extend it. The heat pump came with the house when I got it. When it comes time to replace I'll go solar.

The AQR9 is the right size for your pool for the reason bobodaclown said. You could even go with the AQR15 if you want. I did not see what kind or size of filter you are planning on. Many people like to oversize their filter, particularly if it is a DE or cartridge filter.

I have no idea what happened, but when I went to edit the original post to fix the image link, it put it at the top. I went back to edit again and then my original post disappeared and looks like it is completely gone.

Here is the link.
POOLDRAWING7-8-14.jpg

I have no idea what happened, but when I went to edit the original post to fix the image link, it put it at the top. I went back to edit again and then my original post disappeared and looks like it is completely gone.
When you edited the post to add a link, that triggered a requirement for a moderator to re-approve it, which is why it disappeared. That is now done and the post is back.

harleyds said:

I just re-approved your first post. What likely happened is when you edited your original post, it placed it back into "Moderated" status requiring it to be re-approved by a Moderator. This only impacts new members. Both posts should be visible now.

Yup, I see them both now. Thanks

To answer the other replies, I'm being told when the PB sets up the design in to their computer, it will calculate the best places to place the return lines and the skimmer.

I don't recall the filter, but I'm fairly certain its a cartridge filter. I'm traveling now and going by memory. Its on a sheet of paper at home and I'll be back by Monday.

We considered Solar Heating, but with a Heat Pump, we can control the spa temp to what we want and not have to depend on sunlight. This is what we were going to go with first, but changed out mind for that reason and also being in South Florida, I have to anticipate Hurricane winds that can rip the panels off my roof and also damage my roof. This was brought to my attention by more than one PB. There is the option or installing removable panels, but I travel and can't expect my wife to climb up on to the roof to do this.

The 3/4 - 2HP Vspeed for the pool is so it can power the return lines and also the 2 spa jets in the bench area and the bubbler.

Would having the AQR15 be overkill or should I just get the AQR9? I'm looking at the price difference and the price of the cell replacements. I read that its about 3 years when you need to replace. Would this mean with the AQR15, I would not have to replace it as often? Maybe every 4-5 years? Is that how it works? I had a chlorine pool before, but never a salt water pool so this is all new to me.

Thanks all for the responses.

I like your pool design; I haven't seen a shape like that one before. Regarding the door from the screened patio to the pool -- I believe the code requires it to be 7 feet from the water, if I recall correctly. Is that why the designer has placed it at an angle from the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.