Other options to wood/composite deck?

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
Just got our 2nd quote for a deck around ~1/4 of the pool. The given dimensions are 20x14, although we need to discuss exactly what that means as it wouldn't be a rectangle. Anyway quote is $14,800, right about the same price as previous quote. This is for PT framing and composite decking/railings. When asked about switching to PT decking it would only save less that 2K. I can't see how we can justify that price for somethign we'd only use 3-4 months a year. (we live in Northeast).
Does anyone have any other ideas on what to do around an AGP? I don't want just the current ladder as the kids are already standing on it to jump in. ANyone have a small deck just for getting in/out of pool that works well? I really wanted it to be a place we could all hang out, but that price is crazy.
We DIY lots of things, but I think a deck around pool is a bit out of reach for our skills.

That seems like an insane price for a day's work on a relatively simple project. I'd have been surprised at a $4000 quote.

A 20'x14' wood deck, with railings, stairs, and posts sunk into the ground resting on proper footers, is NOT a relatively simple project and is MUCH more than a day's work.

I've built a number of wood decks, and now I'm working on my own deck extension to connect my round pool to my existing wood deck, and it's no picnic. Decking around a ROUND pool is not something you can slap together and expect it to turn our right. It takes TIME, and lots of precise cuts.

Although 14K seems high, it could be about right for composite decking, posts and railings. That stuff is expensive. I do believe his quote of saying "wood instead of composite only saves you 2K" is BS. Composite deck materials are easily TWICE as expensive as the comparable wood materials. Get a quote from a third builder on a wood-only deck (don't mention composite) of the same size and see what it is for comparison.

I agree with Augie.

I just added a 10' x 12' extension to the deck that was already existing around my ABG. It is a lot of work - not particulary difficult work, just tedious.

I did not keep super accurate records but, I know the materials for my PT decking and railings came in around $1,300. I know my initial load of decking lumber was on the order of $700 for 5/4 PT decking. My rails are cheap (spindles and 2x6 tops, but that matches what was there)

If I had to esitmate, materials cost on the order of maybe $2,700 total. 4x4's are not cheap, nor are 2x8's

I did the footings last year, and then the deck itself over about 4 weeks this spring, working most weekends and the occassional evening after work.

-dave

A 20'x14' wood deck, with railings, stairs, and posts sunk into the ground resting on proper footers, is NOT a relatively simple project and is MUCH more than a day's work.

For any kind of professional crew, it is an easy one day job. I built my 16X21 with beveled corners and two sets of stairs in a weekend with help only when I was hanging the beams and laying out the post holes. A professional crew should be able to knock that out easily in a day.

I am a Carpenter by trade and I call that price the "I don't want to do your job price". I am just building out a 12x16 addition to my current deck to access the pool. I have about $900 in materials, If I had someone do it maybe $1800 total. For your deck say middle of the road materials composite deck and rails $9 - $10000 would be more like it.

For any kind of professional crew, it is an easy one day job. I built my 16X21 with beveled corners and two sets of stairs in a weekend with help only when I was hanging the beams and laying out the post holes. A professional crew should be able to knock that out easily in a day.

I suppose I assumed the wood deck requirements would be similar in the OP's area as they are in mine.

Posts are to rest on a DRIED CONCRETE footer at the bottom of the post holes. This gets inspected. Maybe a 1/2 day's work on Day 1.

Posts are to be backfilled to grade in CONCRETE. This also gets inspected. Once poured, you can't build on them until the concrete dries at least overnight. Day 2.

I can't imagine any more than two guys working on a 20x14 deck...seems like it would be too much of a crowd. But it is possible that two good carpenters working together can frame and finish a 20x14 in a FULL day....this is granted they have EVERYTHING they need on-site and don't mess anything up. Day 3 minimum.

If you want a slip-shod deck, slapped together, resting on concrete pier blocks that sit on topsoil, then I supposed it's possible a crew could build you a 20x14 in a day. Not on my property, though.

This does require dug out footings, not pier blocks. I was hoping the first estimate was the " I don't want your job" price. But now a 2nd that is almost the same? The first company did say they would give us a $500 discount if we wanted till winter for build. Both places are currently busy with other jobs. I also talked with a 3rd company over the phone and sent a pic of what we wanted. He couldn't give me a super accurate price as it was over the phone but he said maybe $10-12K range depending on materials. ALthough I really wanted to avoid it, I may start researching how to build a deck. :(
Is this really possible for folks who have never built a deck before?

some pics:
Current stepping stones to ladder from patio

Side view where we want deck:

overall property and where pool is:

how much of a slope is that where you have the retaining wall? hard to tell from pic, but if its got more of a slope, you could build that retaining wall up closer to pool, and higher, fill with dirt and do concrete around that one side of pool like I did mine. granted, my pool was buried 30 inches in, but it might be possible for you depending on how much slope you have there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately we can't do the concrete as we do not have a fence around our property and by law we need the walls to be at least 48" high. Good idea though. The retaining wall is about 14" high.
So I went to the Lowes deck builder website and designed our deck using the absolute basic PT selections and it estimated materials at $2700. Upgrading to 6x6 posts, and pre-assembled railing made the price jump to $8750. Maybe the railings are really expensive?

You can do this yourself ya know. Do some research on deck building and go for it! Save yourself boo choo bucks!!!

Unfortunately we can't do the concrete as we do not have a fence around our property and by law we need the walls to be at least 48" high. Good idea though. The retaining wall is about 14" high.
So I went to the Lowes deck builder website and designed our deck using the absolute basic PT selections and it estimated materials at $2700. Upgrading to 6x6 posts, and pre-assembled railing made the price jump to $8750. Maybe the railings are really expensive?
Do you have a pic of the design? Railings can be pricey depending on what you do. 6x6 posts are way overkill unless this is 12' off of the ground or some oddball code requirement.

Railings can be expensive.

luckly the previous owner of my house used an inexpensive option, so when I extended the deck, it was not too expensive.

The old deck ended just to the right of the filter, where the lattace ends the rest is new (yeah, I need to go buy some lattace). Those spindles are on the order of 60-70 cents each

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B848%3Dot%3E5989%3D%3B5%3C%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A%3A86%3A69257ot1lsi

-dave

One thing to look at with that plan is how you want the decking (and therefor the joists as well) run.

I don't know what length the timbertech decking comes in, but if, for example, it comes in 16 and 20 foot lengths, and you need a lot of 16 and half foot lengths, that is a lot of waste you are going to be paying for.

Anytime I see a non-square deck with partial dimensions of normal lumber lengths, I wonder how much waste is going to be on that deck.

-dave

cmbx2mom,
We have the same dimension pool, 24'x54". I built a 24'x 14' deck with wooden steps leading up to deck. I did all the work myself,(well-had a couple helping hands here and there). I'd say I was somewhere around 4-4.5 g's to do it all.
Concrete, pressure treated posts, dimensional lumber,railings(I went with all pt wood),...ect. Note-I had some galvanized hardware, but I couldn't believe how much we spent on what we needed additionally. I think the # you got is pretty darn high, but keep in mind that size deck at todays prices is an expensive build, even diy. Took me almost a whole summer to do it as well. The size you're looking at will really make your pool enjoyable. If you can do it yourself, so much the better. I still look at it and think I did that. Now if I just get the kids to get into this years cold water.
Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.