Best time to test?

Just received my Taylor K-2006 and K-1766 salt test kits. Wondering what the best time to test is: #of hours before or after pump cycle,morning or afternoon. Normally run 3-4 hour cycles as reccomended w/Intex swg. Here are some notes: pool stays covered 98% of the time and swam in 2-3 times a month since the grandkids don't live with us anymore and don't get to jump in all time like they used to. With being covered for long periods should I run my sprinkler system during cycles and or uncover (can run sprinklers w/cover on). Also, should cycles be ran morning, noon or nightime as it is covered most of the time? Thank you, believe me more questions to follow.

Test at least 30 minutes after the pump has turned on. Add chemicals at least 30 minutes before the pump turns off.
CYA test should be done in bright indirect sunlight. Beyond that the time does not matter. Good to be consistent though.

Does not really matter when you run the pump.

I test right when I wake up in the morning (at about 8), then in the evening. I do this so I can measure the chlorine loss more precisely. Once I get used to the daily chlorine loss, I will just pour the estimated amount of chlorine in, and then test at the end of the week. I also add liquid chlorine after the sun goes down. I don't run my pump at night, so I usually just evenly distribute it around the pool, and sometimes brush the walls.

Well, I haven't gotten to the point of testing weekly. I was going to start once I got the hang of the daily chlorine loss. Do others not do this, also?

Okay, I'm about convinced to run the pump in the evening. I'm about to go out right now to pour in chlorine, and I will change the timer.

I used to run my pump for 6 hours in the morning. I would pour bleach in in the evening when it's dark. Now I run my pump for 6 hours in the evening, and pour bleach in front of a return when it gets dark. :D

pwrstrk, do you test daily? I thought it was pretty common to do only weekly testing after some experimenting. I guess I will continue daily before I pour in bleach.

Just wait until the winter, that pump will be going for 1 or 2 hours daily.

I don't test daily. Once or twice a week is good for me as I know my pool very well. If you tell anybody this I will deny it !!!
After you get to be best friends with your pool and know its habits you can back off on the testing. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll probably do FAS-DPD weekly, and OTO throughout the week.

Just poured the chlorine in front of the most powerful return in the shallow end. My pool, Bobby, has two nipples in the deep end, and one standard return in the shallow, lol.

But seriously, I like how the nipples push floating debris towards the shallow end, then powerful jet in the shallow end pushes the debris towards the skimmer. It was already like that when I moved in, I guess the person who adjusted everything knew what he/she was doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.