Is my FC too high

Actually you are below the min for your CYA level. You should be targeting 9 and not letting it fall below 5.
I would ditch the test strips and get yourself one of the recommendedTest Kits. The strips are not accurate enough for the job !
So based on the results you have, I would add some bleach ASAP to get your FC level back in range. You really need a good test kit to get good accurate advice. ?

So are you planning to borrow it everyday as is required to keep your pool balanced?

As everyone said ... your FC is too low. Also, I have no idea how you got a reading of 4.3 ... the Taylor tests are either color match or increments of 0.5 or 0.2 ppm.

By reading the chart it now makes sense why pool stores say shock once a week. They know or don't care that you are putting in large amounts of cya. They love to sell tabs and I have a whole bucket from beginning of year when I did not know what I was doing (Lowes). Eventually you develop algae and the only way to kill them is to OD on chlorine every day. I was doing a hybrid approach with the tabs but it caught up a bit with me. Thank god for all the rain so I can dilute it a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh I use a hybrid approach where I add bleach from Target or liquid chlorine from pool store, while putting 2 tabs into skimmer so I don't have to pour chlorine every night. Then I measure CYA weekly and if it climbs I stop the tabs and wait until rain and adding water brings it down then I do tabs once it's back down again. Now it's 60 and I stopped tabs again.

Ok. As long as you know what your doing. Most important is keeping the FC in range for the CYA level. At what CYA level do you start back up with the tabs ? Also I would suggest not putting the tabs in the skimmer. If your going to use them I would use a floater.
You still need to get yourself a good test kit. ?

I have to stop with the tabs again. I start back up around 30 ppm of CYA and bring it up to 50. This time it got a bit higher as usually probably due to less splash out these past two weeks. But now it rains often so it will go back down. I am back to bleach again. I only keep tabs in skimmer when pump is running. Then place them in floater when pump off. I don't believe in timers especially when I know they pump is over $350 and don't want t to run dry. Just replaced the shaft seal due to a leak that previous owner ignored. I think I found it on time as there was only a bit of white residue where it was leaking and the shaft was not rusty.

A timer will not cause a pump to run dry. You would have to have a massive air leak for the pump to run dry and that would present itself as a lot of air in the pump. The pump should not lose prime when it turns off. If it does, then you have a leak.

So , , , you use tablets so you don't have to add chlorine daily as that is easier for you. But each time you run your pump (daily ??) you need to capture your floater fish out the tablets to put them in the skimmer, turn the pump on and let it cycle and then shut it down, fish out the chlorine tablets and put them back in the floater and you find that easier ?? The only good part in that is I like the smell of chlorine and if you handle them wet that smell will stay on your hands for hours. :D

Adding chlorine daily or occasionally every other (sorry) doesn't sound so bad compared to having to mess with tablets like that. :suspect:

I like the smell of chlorine too lol. I have to turn the pump off and on anyway and clean out the skimmer. Let's just say that you are right. I used to not know what I was doing so I bought a giant bucket of tabs from lowes and trying to use it up.

- - - Updated - - -

A timer will not cause a pump to run dry. You would have to have a massive air leak for the pump to run dry and that would present itself as a lot of air in the pump. The pump should not lose prime when it turns off. If it does, then you have a leak.

I don't have pump issues, it never does lose prime. I am scared that it might for some reason. It's probably 10 years old. I just fixed a leak and changed all the gaskets recently. It runs quiet though knock on wood. I don't want to have to spend $150 on a new motor or even worse $350 on a whole new pump if it runs dry and melts.

A timer would pay for itself and a new pump eventually just with the electrical savings. Not logical to me to be so concerned over something that you have never observed to be an actual problem. Up to you.

A timer would pay for itself and a new pump eventually just with the electrical savings. Not logical to me to be so concerned over something that you have never observed to be an actual problem. Up to you.

The thing is, there is a timer and I disconnected it lol, like I disconnected the gas pool heater because I think it's a waste of money. My neighbors run their pumps 24/7 and their pool heaters are on a timer. I don't get it...

Another thing is (250000 gal / 3720 (which is hourly gallons filtered for my filter) x 2 = 13.4 hours. Looks like I am 1 hour short actually as I only do 12 hours. So I am saving as much as I can but running it at night and turning it off during day. And when i swim I change up the schedule and add a few more hours.

Another thing is (250000 gal / 3720 (which is hourly gallons filtered for my filter) x 2 = 13.4 hours. Looks like I am 1 hour short actually as I only do 12 hours. So I am saving as much as I can but running it at night and turning it off during day. And when i swim I change up the schedule and add a few more hours.

Turnover is not the defining factor. Take a look at Determine Pump Run Time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.