EcoTech EZ interface adapter needed?

Jul 17, 2014
Morgan Hill, ca
I am looking to replace my old single speed Jandy 1.5hp JHP filter pump with a variable speed pump. It still works just wondering how long (I just bought the house) and looking for lower bills as I have an old Jandy SWG (Apure 1400 with wireless OneTouch, Purelink subpanel; these are from around 2004 I think). I see great prices on the EcoTech 1.5 and 3hp (3hp for $40 more!) and seems like I can keep the pump head and replace the motor only. This would also allow me to remove the cleaner booster pump from the system and save this kWh cost.

Searching through the OneTouch i have for a VS option, it does not show this under system setup (think it is rev. I). I assume that it is old enough that either it only supports single speed or 2-speed pumps through the controller. I don't want to shell out a grand+ to upgrade the RS/OneTouch so looking for creative solutions. FYI -- I am an electrical engineer so no problem fabing a circuit and can handle wiring for sure. Oh yeah, also thinking of interfacing my computer with the OneTouch, once I figure out how/if possible considering the age.

My question is if I actually need the interface adapter? I do have a 3 AUX unused so could use these in some way.

Thanks!

A pool cleaner designed for use with a booster pump will not work with a variable speed pump. You either need to keep the booster pump or get a cleaner designed to work with the regular pool pump.

Last I looked, the EcoTech motor does not play well with automation systems. For simple pools this is not a problem, as you only need one speed, and you can pick what speed that is on the motor. But for more complex installs you need an automation system that supports VS pumps and a VS pump designed to work with your specific automation system (you can not mix and match automation and VS motor/pump).

I have the ecotech ez and am really happy with it. I live just north of you and my PGE bill is down almost $125 a month than last year. It does come with a built in timer with 2 settings per day plus another 2 for the weekend. For me, I run the pump on 40% for 6 hours then at 80% for 2 hours in the afternoon.

From what I understand, the EZ interface connects to automated systems using 4 relays. Each relay corresponds to one of the 4 preset "custom speeds" that you set. Eventually, I plan to hook up my rPi to to open/close the solar panel valve and to bump the pump speed to high.

I just ordered the EcoTech EZ 3hp for $395! I also got the interface board. I will be doing the same as you as far as savings! Tier 4 is steeeeeeppp to pay and looking forward to the reduced bills. I do have 3 relays open in my RS so this is perfect for 4 speeds if needed (3 for sure as I will add solar in the next couple of months). Here is a link to checkout on how he set up the system:
http://technicalpoolrepair.blogspot.com/2009/12/case-study-variable-speed-on-jandy-rs.html

Installed and run. . . . AMAZING! Set it up for the 4 custom flows (filter @35%, Cleaner @75%, heater @50%, and spa @ 80%) that activate with the RS OneTouch selection (turn on filter the pump ramps up to 100% for 3 min then down to 35%. press cleaner and booster turns on and VS ramps to 75%, etc). Now to optimize it :) This motor is SOOOO quiet and so worth the very reasonable expense of $500 (motor + EZ interface).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.