Helppp! I am losing faith

vee212

Jul 30, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Split by moderator. Please start a new thread to ask your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Pool Color.jpg

Helppp! I am losing faith inclearing up my pool it has been about 2 weeks and no luck. Ph is fine I think we let the chlorine drop too low for about 2 days since it was really hot and now we have green water. We tried the liquid chloring method and shock method as well with no luck! I am also keeping the chloring level really high. Can someone help me!? Please 5,000 gallon above ground pool. I also change the cartridges regularly.

HI Vee,
Hate to hear of your woes.

The SLAM process is about bringing your FC level up but keep it relative to what your CYA level is AND Keeping It There, until ALL of the algae is killed.
Its difficult to give precise advice without knowing your water parameters are by means of reliably testing it.

Please read this link on how to SLAM your pool. You need to follow it as closely as you possibly can or the end result of a sparkly pool will be woefully delayed.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
within this link are other links to recommended Chlorine levels based on your overall water parameters.

Use pool math to determine how much chlorine to add in order to achieve your FC level.
Its easy to use and very intuitive and a very valuable tool for pool water maintenance,
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Welcome to TFP !
Without a set of good accurate test results it's going to be hard to get pointed in the right direction.
To get accurate test results your going to need one of these Test Kits. It is well worth the investment. We need good accurate test results to help you out.
I also recommend that you take a look at these articles from pool school.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool.
Take the time to look over the links and when you get a good test kit post up the results and we can get you fixed up.
With your pool water volume would a drain and start fresh be an option for you ? ?

Vee, I see this is your first post. Welcome to TFP! :flower:

There's a lot to learn within this forum if you are willing to do some research and reading. I'll give you some links to get you started:

:lookhere: Pool information. If you would be so kind as to look at this link and fill in some information. It will be very helpful to those responding to your questions.

:lookhere: Test Kits Compared. The basis of TFP is to manage your pool as inexpensively as possible using common household items such as bleach/liquid chlorine. In order to know how much of those things to add, you need good test results. Pool Store results are historically inaccurate and test strips are just plain unreliable. Look these over and see what is right for you.

:lookhere: TFP dictionary This will give you tons of information about the language regarding pools.

:lookhere: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry This will tell you about the elements in your water and how they interact.

:lookhere: How to chlorinate your pool. So your pool is cloudy and you need chlorine. But what kind? How much? This link teaches you that all chlorine isn't created equal. It will all sanitize but it's the mode of delivery that often creates the problems. Also, I often hear people say they "shock" their pool. Shock kinda implies a one time fix but as you have seen, one time fixes don't always fix anything. So you will probably need to SLAM (shock level and maintain). SLAM is a process with a beginning and ending. It may take hours or days but if the process is followed correctly, you will have a clear pool!

:lookhere: Chlorine/CYA chart In order to add the proper chlorine to your pool, you need to know the CYA level. This chart shows the minimum level you must always have to maintain a clear, sanitized pool. It also shows your "shock" level that you will follow through your SLAM.

:lookhere: Pool Math! This is the handiest calculator available anywhere! Enter your pool information, your target and current test results, and pool math will give you all the measurements you need!

Take your time and read through everything and then read it again. Eventually, it begins to make sense. Ask questions when you don't understand something.

- - - Updated - - -

Evidently, I need to type faster because they beat me to it!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Well they pretty much covered it. Happy to help you get it blue and sparkly if you do a little reading of the links others supplied you and you post your water test numbers.

:testresults:

Vee 212 Welcome to the Forum.
My experience was that on opening this year I had a mess and wanted to upgrade the filter on my aboveground pool. I found this site and started doing all the required reading. I am a little bit of a cheapskate so I tried buying a test kit locally and thought it saved me $25. I tried mixing the philosophies from the pool store and from TFP. I was reading on this forum every night and wondering why I couldnt get my pool clear. I was in a slam for almost three weeks until I bit the bullet and bought a TF-100 test kit with a speedstir. I decided that I had to pick one way or the other and I chose TFP. I knew that I wasnt faithfully keeping my FC up and was "just pouring about the right amount" of Chlorine in whenever I remembered. I reread How to SLAM and got busy one weekend checking my water every hour and brushing and finally (yes finally) leaf raking all the **** that had been on the bottom. Once I started full bore TFP I had my Pool sparkly in a week, and I haven't looked back.
I had a birthday party for my granddaughters yesterday and I could hear all the adults talking about how clear my water was. They mentioned that it didn't smell like all the other pools that they use at apartment complexes and such.
I encourage you to take control of your own pool. The knowledge you get here is power, and it feels good to know that I can handle this.
Good Luck on your pool!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.