Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should the Chlorine stay stable overnight

1. Back To Top    #1

Should the Chlorine stay stable overnight

Should my Chlorine level stay stable overnight? I am in the process of bringing it down after shocking after a new fill of my pool. Wednesday night numbers were:
    FC 6.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    CYA 28
    Thursday morning numbers were:
    FC 5.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    CYA 28

I am trying to get to FC of 4.0 - 5.0 but want to make sure that everything is going right. I thought that with stabilizer in the level would stay constant overnight. It did from Tuesday night to Wednesday morning. We have had no swimmers as the weather here has turned cool but the water is crystal clear, shining and never looked better!! I don't want to do anything that will cause cloudiness now and may be having a problem with the Pool Owner Patience that I have read about. Please give me your thoughts!
    kperkins
    7200 gal.
    Above Ground
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    A 1 ppm drop overnight isn't bad at all. Some chlorine get's used up fighting organics that are continually introduced in the pool, like pollen, etc.

At this point I'd try to maintain the FC where you want it and as long as you stay ahead of things, you should have a very trouble free swim year ahead of you

3. Back To Top    #3

Great!! Thanks for your help
    kperkins
    7200 gal.
    Above Ground
    Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

kperkins,
    Cyanuric acid protects chlorine from being destroyed by UV rays from the sun. Cya won't help chlorine hold overnight. Chlorine usage overnight would mean something other than sunlight is consuming it (as Rangeball said).
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)