Pool Filter Sizing help

May 29, 2014
New Jersey
Guys,

I think my sand filter is not working like it should and I'm looking at replacing it.

I have 2 options so far:

Hayward CC15093S Xstream 150-Square-Foot Cartridge Filter and 1-1/2 Horsepower PowerFlo Matrix Pump
Haywood DE EC50 Filter and 1 1/2 Horsepower Pump

Can anyone tell me if any of those will work for my Morada 24' 52" AG pool?

Thanks,

Rocky

Well for a 13,500 pool, I would suggest a 200+ sqft cartrdige or that bump DE should be fine. Although with your shorter season, you could likely go smaller on the filter.

For the pump, a 1HP 2-speed is what I would recommend. Often the combo packages are not the best options.

What exactly is your problem? Is it the filter or the pump that is not working?

Well, my pool has turned green after the rain 4 days ago,was clear and readings were:
Fc 5
cya 40
Al 110
Ph 7.8, was adding ph minus before the rains

It turned cloudy green immediately after the rains. The only noticeable difference was that ph went up to 8.

I shocked it to prevent algea and have kept it high since, but it's not clearing, eventhough I'm running the filter 24hrs.

I suspect the filter to be the cause.

Green cloudy water is nearly always a chemical issue and not a pump or filter issue.

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the pool and then the filter should be able to clean out the dead stuff. BTW, a FC of 5ppm is not high if that is what you are implying. The shock level for a CYA of 40ppm requires a maintained 16ppm of FC.

Why should the water get cloudy? If it is clear, why suspect a problem with the filter?
When did you raise the FC up to 16ppm?

First you said the pool was green and cloudy and now you say it is not as cloudy as you expected ...
I guess I am not understanding ... what does the water look like now?

Lol, ok let me clarify.

Before the rain, the pool was clear and levels were good with one exception, ph was a tad high.

After the rain, pool turned cloudy green and ph went up even further.

I immediately shocked and have been maintaining shock level for 4 days now, but haven't noticed any changes.

I'll report back tomorrow.

The Taylor K-1004 is not FAS-DPD so is not able to test FC values high enough to know whether you are at shock level or not, so not only will you not know your shock level, you wont be able to perform an OFCL test which is a requirement for knowing you have successfully completed the SLAM. . It also won't test CC as well. In order to SLAM correctly you need to test accurately and frequently, particularly in the beginning. Hourly if possible, twice daily absolute minimum.

Click the test kit link in jblizzle's signature for info. Also read and thoroughly comprehend the SLAM link and associated OFCL info he referenced above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I know I need to get the better testkit, but I had bought that one before finding this forum, so I'm stuck until I get the funds.

I treated with green to blue lastnight and attached are the results.
20140731_074343.jpg
Stuff settled on the bottom.
20140731_074350.jpg
Will vacuum to waste.

We do not recommend or use those type of magic potions ... so can not offer advice.

If adequate FC was maintained for the SLAM process, then you should have been seeing improvement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.