Pump Replacement

Jul 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
I need to replace my pump but I don't know which one to get. I currently have a 1 HP 1.25 SF pump. Do I need to keep the same combo or can I go up to a 1.5 HP? The pool company who usually does the work on my pool is recommending the 1.5 HP but I am not sure.

You don't have to keep the same size pump, but you should size the pump appropriately for your pool. If you could tell us a little more about your pool we could help you choose the size pump you need. Do you have any water features such as waterfalls, fountains, deck jets, ect? How large is your pool? What type and how large is your filter?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

All you need is as small of a pump as you can get, ideally a 2 speed to save money on power.

Why do you need to replace the pump? Could you just replace the motor with the same size 2-speed motor?
What is the current pump wired for, 115V or 230V?

Who knows ... from what we see most "pool guys" are full of questionable advice. Ask him.
Maybe he has one in his truck he is looking to unload.

Do you need more flow? I can not see why you would.
The more water you move, the higher the electrical bill.

Nothing. They are comparable. I happen to have the Superflo which I know comes with union fittings that make it easier to plumb and it includes the speed switch. I am not sure what comes with the Hayward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 1.5HP challenger is a MUCH bigger pump which will cost more to buy and to run ... (and does not come in 2-speed version). Way overkill.

The 3/4HP Full or 1HP Up-rated Challenger has a similar performance curve (and thus flow rate) as the recommended 1HP 2-speed Superflo would on high speed.

On low speed, you would move half the water for 1/4 the amount of power. So even running on low for twice as long would save 50% of the power cost.

Here are some good pumps that will work well. All 1 hp two speed, as Jason has recommended. I have listed them in order of increasing price. I have the first one on the list (Jandy). Jason has the second one (Pentair Superflo). I think they are all pretty much equivalent. Of course, if you are buying from your pool guy he may not have the same selection or prices.

Jandy FloPro $399.95
Pentair Superflo $429.95
Hayward Superpump $479.95

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.