Help figuring out existing system

Jul 27, 2014
I've been in this place for a little over a year and I never paid much attention to the pool workings, a company dealt with it. Trouble is these guys were constantly billing me for parts, like bearings for pumps and 2 timers in one year. I finally had enough and decided to do things myself.
After reading about the subject I got the suspicion my whole system made no sense.
Now for the numbers, the pool is 12.5k gallons IG, the avg. dist. to pool is 35ft. I chlorinate manually, there's 3 skimmer and 5 jets. The hardware is 2x1.5HP Hayward Superpumps, single speed running concurrently on timer, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, 400lbs, and finally a Pahlen Electric Resistive Heater, 415V.

My queries are as follows:

1. Is the equipment overkill for the pool size? Or did they have it right? The pipes are all 2".
2. When the last timer blew, i switched it for a 1 pst old school clock timer, 30A, that hooked up to just one pump. Is one pump enough or should I utilise the second one as well? Timer is set at 2hr ON 4hr OFF.
3. My most pressing issue is the heater. The pool is indoors and is cold as heck. When this heater runs it is marvelous. Problem is, when I just hooked the one pump the heater just wouldn't kick in. My guess its because the flow isn't sufficient, so how can I fix it? I don't want to change the configuration if I don't have to so any ideas? Should I remove the Flowrate sensor switch and just run the heater on a timer or is that too dangerous?

Any help welcome. Thanks in advance!

WP_20140704_002 - Copy.jpgWP_20140704_001 - Copy.jpgWP_20140730_001 - Copy.jpgWP_20140728_001 - Copy.jpg

It would help if you posted some pictures of the plumbing layout. Especially the equipment pad.

Depending on how they're plumbed, one pump should be more than enough for that pool. My suspicion is that one of the pumps is dedicated to the heater circuit.

Looks like that's a 15kw heater. I'm surprised that it adds much heat to the pool.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a strange setup. It sure looks like both pumps feed the same filter and then from the filter to heater and the up and down the wall (?) Is that right?

If that is the case, there would never be a need to run both pumps .... almost like one is a backup :scratch:

- - - Updated - - -

Can you add a picture from the other side too, please?

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I can't squeeze in to snap a pic from the other size. The equipment is under a staircase.

The heater is the biggest mystery at the moment. Its hooked up and powered fine, but for some reason doesn't want to start up.

What does the filter pressure run with either and both pumps running?

Looks like the pump discharges are manifolded to the filter and then it leaves the filter and runs down, over and up to the heater.
From the heater it's should be going to the returns. If so how many eyeballs are there and what size are they?

Just making sure I understand. The heater does work if you run both pumps?

The old timer had the pumps running concurrently, 1.5 hours at a time, so total was 12 hours a day each. Now with the single pump I have it running for 8 hours total, 2hours on 4 hours off.
The pressure hasn't changed, slightly lower maybe. Should I run the pump for more than 2 hours at a time?
The heater runs fine on the older setup. There are 5 eyeballs, one inch size. Also have 3 skimmers.
Tomorrow I'm gonna run the pump on manual until I see the heater kick in. If it doesn't then something else is wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.