Cloudy water

Jul 4, 2008
NJ USA
Since the end of June 2014 when I opened the pool I have had some issues at time with cloudiness of water this summer also we are getting more than normal amount of Rain for this time of year evrything was balanced at first now i have #s that are way off ,I use both bleach as shock and Chlorine Pucks as daily regiment in my chlorinator
FC 10
CC 0
TC 10
PH 6.2
T/A 40
CH 90
Question is in what sequence should i start the Treatments also feel free to give any additional advice i thought i was an expert at this by now;):rolleyes:

How long have you used pucks routinely? A symptom of over-stabilization is cloudy water...

That pH needs to be brought back up with soda ash or borax before corrodes the metal parts of your pool equipment any further.

The pH reading didn't come from your Aqaucheck strips, did it? Those are hard to read, and can end up being inaccurate. I asked this because the average test kit doesn't read that low in pH.

My question is what test kit did you get those results with ?
Yes the PH is very low. The CYA level is very important to know so we can see if your FC is out of range or not.
If you use the pucks only for chlorination, your CYA level could be too high and your FC level is out if range for it. That will cause cloudy water. ?

No I use the Taylor the liquid bottles no strips as soon i bring the PH up to normal level it goes down again to 6.2 and stays there

- - - Updated - - -

i did not check the CY level i am out of the liquid but last i checked few weeks ago it was in 60 range thye chlorine does not decipate from my pool that quickly

- - - Updated - - -

i use the pucks all the time due to my time availability it has been ok in the past years for most part

CYA level is near 90 , as i checked today water is Blue as anything but cloudy i pinched down the Chlorinator to bring down the Chlorine level today, added Soda wash to raise the PH . i check the results again on thursday and post it , another question i have is the salt they sell in stores for water softener or the salt they sell for pool is it same as Calcium chloride ??? i thought it was not but some guy in store told me it is the same , unfortunatly on the bags it does not say the chemical abbriviation it just says salt can some one concure please it is tough to find calcium chloride in middle of summer last winter in NJ we ran out of de icer Calcium chloride by January

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Abigail i am in NJ USA i will remove some water and add some and see what happens the theory may be true since i have kept the Chlorine level on the high end for a while now so i can imagin the CYA level going up i will drain it in intervals as not to damadge the pool , thanx for the help

Once you heh the cya level back to a good level and get the pool slammed you will be amazed how clear the water is and how easy it is to take care of... my son commented one night that the water was so clear that at night with the pump off that it looked empty... and during the day you can tell if a quarter is heads or tails up

a few years ago i hade a water cloudy issue and from what i remember i added the Calcium chloride and the next day the pool looked amazingly clear i hope in a few hours when the sun is up my pool be clear again i just got to check the T?A again see where that is my CYA chemical is finished so i need to get to pool store to check it again most likely it will take me couple of days to drain and fill drain and fil, darin and fill , the bugs and the frogs dont seem to be bothered by the cloudy water though :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.