Storing Solar Cover Suggestions

ddpool

Jul 20, 2008
Minnesota
I was wondering if anyone could share how they dry out the solar cover of a big AGP. We have a 24' and I was just pondering how I would approach trying to dry out and store our solar cover.
Any good tips on getting the solar cover dry before rolling up to store?

Thanks

BTW, I love your new avatar! hehehehe

No matter how well I tried to dry mine, there was always water left over, and thus a bit of scummy stuff to contend with. You will likely have to spread it out on the driveway to clean it off in the Spring. One year it was bad, so I cleaned it with tide and a brush real good. That was just plain stupid and I made the situtation worse. Do you have any idea how long it took to get rid of all the soapy bubbles? :shock: :oops: Live and learn.

I have laid mine on the grass (mistake, killed the grass) and I have draped it over the side of the deck. I see my neighbors lay theirs in the driveway to dry, if your's is big enough. That's what I plan to do this year.

frustratedpoolmom said:
BTW, I love your new avatar! hehehehe

No matter how well I tried to dry mine, there was always water left over, and thus a bit of scummy stuff to contend with. You will likely have to spread it out on the driveway to clean it off in the Spring. One year it was bad, so I cleaned it with tide and a brush real good. That was just plain stupid and I made the situtation worse. Do you have any idea how long it took to get rid of all the soapy bubbles? :shock: :oops: Live and learn.

I have laid mine on the grass (mistake, killed the grass) and I have draped it over the side of the deck. I see my neighbors lay theirs in the driveway to dry, if your's is big enough. That's what I plan to do this year.

That's exactly what I do with mine (24 ft). On a sunny day, it takes about 30 minutes to dry. Then it's just a matter of folding it up and putting it away. It gets a little dirty from the driveway, but that can be hosed off next time I get it out.

I used to anchor mine to the top of the garage flat roof, using bricks - that way I could scrub it clean with a broom. Now I hang it over two lines between the garage and the house. However, I only do that at the end of the season. I wasnt sure what would work best for daily use so I attached a bike hook on the garden fence one end of the pool and a corded tape the other end. The bike hook is the most convenient and it moves sideways when not in use (to avoid children running into it). I intend to replace the tape with another bike hook - next year, when I buy a skimmer, and perhaps some decking?

What about if you live in a hot sun area, like here in Texas? I grew up in Minnesota, and never imagined the sun could be so blistering hot. We will not need to dry out our solar cover until October, but the sun will still burn at that point. I read on the solar cover instructions to be careful about putting it out in the hot sun when it is not in water. But we will not have a shady place to put it to dry by October- leaves already coming down from drought. I could put it on the driveway after the sun goes down on the other side of the house, but the drive is not big enough for our 28 foot cover. What do southern pool owners do, and is the solar cover really that fragile?

You can set it out in the sun. You'll just have to watch it and when it's dry fold it up right away. The reason you don't want it in the sun too long is because without the water to keep it cool it will get hot and possible burst the little bubbles.

HTH,
Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have cut mine into four sections and then re attached with cable ties or zip ties. This way I can keep it together in sectins for easy removal from the pool. When it comes to storing it this winter I will then cut the cable ties from the middle section and have two pieces...I can then place it on driveway to dry...and then fold into two neat little bundles to put back in the box it came in once it is dry. I will then store in an appropriate place alone with my other pool equipment. This system has worked well for both putting the cover on the pool and taking it out. I have gotten less debris in the pool by doing it thsi way.

amjohn said:
Cubbybeave, do you have a picture that you can post of how you cut up and tied up the solar cover? Mine is 28 ft diameter, still in one piece, and a massive pain. I would appreciate a view of your approach.

Here's a pic of Beave's solar cover:

Attachments

• beavepool.jpg
    beavepool.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 659
Is there some sort of washer/grommet/tape that the wire tie passes through to keep the cover from shredding - they are very sharp? I finally had it and cut my cover into three long pieces last night- hope I am not sorry. It seems to be staying on the pool similar to how it did before as one piece and is a lot easier to remove and replace. If high winds blow it around, I will try the wire tie method. Thanks for the pic.

amjohn said:
Is there some sort of washer/grommet/tape that the wire tie passes through to keep the cover from shredding - they are very sharp? I finally had it and cut my cover into three long pieces last night- hope I am not sorry. It seems to be staying on the pool similar to how it did before as one piece and is a lot easier to remove and replace. If high winds blow it around, I will try the wire tie method. Thanks for the pic.

amjohn...Just used doubled up duct tape and used a paper punch to punch the hole through the tape and the cover. I am not sure how long the duct tape will last. but it was a quick fix. I cut my blanket in fourths thinking it would be easier to put in the pool by myself...it wasn't...I don't have a deck yet so I have to get in the pool and spread it out...two person job. This way i can fold the outsides in on the middle sections then fold those sections on themselves, and then wrap it up in a neat little package and carry up the ladder byself dump it in and then unfold in the pool...It took me about 10 minutes from start to finish the other night.

amjohn said:

These are not wire ties...They are plastic zip ties or cable ties...I got mine at walgreens...Box of one hundred cost about $4...They come in various sizes but I used the smallest size so there was not a lot of the tag end left over...Be sure to punch your holes on the outer edges in far enough on the cover that there is no way for the zip tie to rub agains your liner. They are quite rigid and could do some damage...my outer edges are in atleast two inches from the outer edge.

Beave

Thanks beave- sorry about the term "wire tie". I know what you mean though- zip ties. We use in the aircraft industry to bind wire bundles into harnesses as they travel through the aircraft, so it is habit for me to call them wire ties- distinguishes from cables used to fasten other things together.
So far, my three pieces of solar cover are working well. I do not have a deck yet either (some day, some day) and use a solar saddle, so I push my solar cover over the edge of the pool into the saddle. The big cover as one piece was too much for me to manage alone, so this is doable with it cut into three long strips -of course a 28 foot long piece of bubble wrap is still a lot of bubble wrap. If I get really lazy, I push over the middle strip that covers the diameter of my round pool and just create a 28 foot long swim lane.
And it will definitely be easier to dry out and put away for the winter- still like the leaf blower idea.

amjohn said:
Thanks beave- sorry about the term "wire tie". I know what you mean though- zip ties. We use in the aircraft industry to bind wire bundles into harnesses as they travel through the aircraft, so it is habit for me to call them wire ties- distinguishes from cables used to fasten other things together.
So far, my three pieces of solar cover are working well. I do not have a deck yet either (some day, some day) and use a solar saddle, so I push my solar cover over the edge of the pool into the saddle. The big cover as one piece was too much for me to manage alone, so this is doable with it cut into three long strips -of course a 28 foot long piece of bubble wrap is still a lot of bubble wrap. If I get really lazy, I push over the middle strip that covers the diameter of my round pool and just create a 28 foot long swim lane.
And it will definitely be easier to dry out and put away for the winter- still like the leaf blower idea.

Not a problem I know them as cable ties...My brother in law used to be an engineer for one of the company that makes them...That is what they call them...I am glad that it is working well for you...I still have a little problem getting it out by myself...but I am not too worried about that I was more worried about getting it put on by myself...A deck is so much easier to utilize...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.