Bottles of chlorine are marked with the day and year it was made?

Re: Which one is a better deal-Bleach or Liquid Chlorine

That calculator will still give the OP the relative costs of what they find .... regardless of the color of the result.

I won't disagree on the use of the calculator as beneficial to determining the relative lowest cost of any number "available" options. But it could be even better if it calculated the cost based on age of the chlorine. I'm sure Chem Greek could develope the calculation based on the mfg date of the bottle.

I won't disagree on the use of the calculator as beneficial to determining the relative lowest cost of any number "available" options. But it could be even better if it calculated the cost based on age of the chlorine. I'm sure Chem Greek could develope the calculation based on the mfg date of the bottle.
Really ... so would the inputs include the storage temperature as a function of time since bottling and sun exposure as well? :suspect:

I was just telling someone else we found in our Walmart the bleach is $0.30/oz but you can walk over to the garden section and get liquid chlorine for $0.25/oz.

I could drive across the interstate and get 10% at home Depot but it was mfg in march 2013 -- not so good a deal!

- - - Updated - - -

Jason, I guess it could- but that would be just a tad of overkill. See my most recent post above.

$3.50/(121 *.0825) = $.35 oz
$5.00/(128 * .10) = .39/oz

Bleach is cheaper.

+1

I just try to go with the best deal per oz in my area using the calculator: http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/chlorine/
By the time you start to try and figure out loss of strength by days old you might as well try to figure out what temp it's been stored at and transported at. Bad enough with the variables of size of container, strength and container cost as it is.

That's just plain silly! There's no way of knowing what the storage/transportation conditions are. But most often you can see what the mfg date and strength/ quantity are. I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't have that info on the bottle.

Storage is pretty easy at least at the end point. Is it sitting inside an air conditioned store or outside, or outside baking in the sun ?? My Fleet Farm displays it inside while my Home Depot has it in a "pool supplies" area outside in the sun in lawn and garden with the plants and fertilizer.

Transportation of & bleach storage - hot travels?

From a truck drivers point of view - what temperature do you think it is in a van trailer that bleach is being hauled in across the state(s)? Anyone?

If a truck driver is Sitting in a truck stop parking lot for lunch break on the tar at 110deg outside & then at the docks waiting to be unloaded (usually an all day affair at any box store) if the trailer isn't left at the dock all day for the night shift to unload. I know for a fact they do NOT use temperature control on bleach or household products UNLESS they are perishable goods/food. The cost of running a diesel temp control "reefer" is reserved for pharmaceuticals or perishables - so that bleach has plenty of opportunity to get very hot in hot area delivery climates. Agreed?

So once bleach "could be" heated up like that in a transport trailer coming to me in AZ; Wouldn't that shorten its life no matter where the store shelves it ? Obviously they don't help by putting it outside in a garden center.

Maybe a temp indicator on the jug? Like a forehead temp strip. Knowing those exist & are expensive & would never make it on a per jug due to cost.

What is the breakdown point of bleach with heat in transport - faster expiry by "X"? Thanks

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Really ... so would the inputs include the storage temperature as a function of time since bottling and sun exposure as well? :suspect:

I saw what you did there!

That's just plain silly! There's no way of knowing what the storage/transportation conditions are. But most often you can see what the mfg date and strength/ quantity are. I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't have that info on the bottle.

He didn't!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.