Leaky Hayward Filter - Do I need a new O-ring?

Hey everyone,

I have been noticing a stream of water running from my Hayward SP71 sand filter, and I wanted to find out if it's a leaky O-ring or something more serious. I took a picture of the situation:

http://imgur.com/6ZdfQVu
6ZdfQVu

If it does need a new O-ring, can I simply turn the pump off, unscrew the two bolts to remove the collar and replace the O-ring (with plumbers silicon lube)? Thanks for the help!

Like Cig said, there appears to be some dried trails coming from the valve. Is it leaking at the valve top plate or below the valve at the top of the tank?

If it's the valve, check the spider gasket. Likely replace.

If it's the top of the filter, remove the valve, lightly lubricate the o-ring with silcone based lubricant and try to reseat it. Make sure when tightening the bolts, you get them both evenly just to snug. Then turn one side bolt one full turn, then the other one full turn. Alternate so it tightens equally until snug, not gorilla tight. Also, tapping on the sides of the collar every so often between bolt turns help keep the o-ring from sticking/rolling in the interface. If that doesn't work, replace the filter/valve o-ring. Pretty cheap as well on Amazon.

Hey everyone,

I have been noticing a stream of water running from my Hayward SP71 sand filter, and I wanted to find out if it's a leaky O-ring or something more serious. I took a picture of the situation:

http://imgur.com/6ZdfQVu
6ZdfQVu

If it does need a new O-ring, can I simply turn the pump off, unscrew the two bolts to remove the collar and replace the O-ring (with plumbers silicon lube)? Thanks for the help!
Maybe, maybe not. Is it an above-ground pool? Water will seek its own level and come pouring out everywhere. We just don't know, because you haven't filled out your signature.

Instructions on how to do this are here: Read Before You Post.

You might also narrow down your location for us. Alaska and Hawaii are United States, and they are far different than the desert Southwest, the Great Plains, and the Gulf Coast. Recommendations can change depending on location.

Thanks for the responses.

I think the leak is originating from around the black collar, not above where the white streaks are.

When you say remove the valve, do I need to unhook the white pipes and remove the entire valve, or just take off the black collar and check the gasket?

I'm in Missouri btw and it is an in ground 35k gallon vinyl pool :)

Thanks again!

Add the details of your pool to your signature as Richard has suggested. See above.

I would try to remove the whole valve. However, as you may have noticed, this is rather difficult unless unions have been installed in the return and suction lines that go out from the valve. Such as this:
473381.jpg

If you do not have unions to disconnect you have two options. This is the problem of the top mount valve.

1. Attempt to remove the collar and inspect/lubricate the o-ring as best you can and reseat. You may be able to slightly lift the valve enough to do so. You might not. You won't be able to replace the o-ring. Don't lift the valve very much at all as you could weaken the PVC joint strength.
2. Do what should have been done when the valve was installed. Cut the PVC and install unions. Not overly difficult but can be intimidating if you haven't done it before. This will make it much easier to fully inspect and be able to replace the o-ring if needed and be very helpful in the future should another problem arise. Install them close to the valve so when the valve is removed using the unions, it's not too unwieldy.

EDIT: Option 2 is the better option as these tank o-rings are known to develop leaks after only a few years of use and you'll be ready for next time.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.