Replacing old Jacuzzi brand pump on pool

Jul 29, 2014
Sarasota FL
Hi all. I have been reading this board for a while and find it immensely helpful. My pump has become loud and sounds like a rock tumbler. I am overwhelmed by the choices to replace it and the factors involved, so any help would be appreciated.

OLD EQUIPMENT-installed 1999
Jacuzzi Magnum force pump. Motor says 1hp, SF 1.1
Jacuzzi CFR75 filter
2" pipes: 22 foot run to skimmer, 36 foot to drain. Three jets in pool, look like 1/2" or so
No water features
Solar panels on roof of one story house

I'd like to keep the cost down so I am thinking about a single speed energy efficient model (perhaps a WhisperFlo WFE-24). If I can keep the old filter that would be great due to huge cost savings. The quieter the better but my A/C compressor is next to the pool pump so there will always be noise. Pump doesn't have to be silent. My concern is the flow rate the filter can handle. This Jacuzzi equipment is hard to find specs on and the filter, a C-9475 cartridge is only 75 square feet.

I also am at a loss over up-rated or full-rated. Seems to me if it is the exact same parts with a different label then there should be no difference, but this is my first pool and I am far, far from being an expert. I hope I included all the relevant information above and in my signature. Thank you all so much for your help and recommendations.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, I have to say that you filter is awfully small. For your size pool, I would suggest something at least 150sqft which is double the size of your current filter.

Regarding the pump, the cheapest option would be to just replace the motor on your existing pump. But, I would highly recommend upgrading to a 2-speed motor (which is likely similar to the cost of replacing the entire pump with another single speed if not cheaper). This will allow you save a significant amount of money on electricity for the life of the pump (like at least 50%).

You are correct that up-rated and full-rated are the same. The key is to look at the HP times the SF.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

the cheapest option would be to just replace the motor on your existing pump.

Thank you for your fast response, Jason! The motor is only 3 years old but my local pool store feels that it could be the impeller, the bearing or something else and the pump isn't worth pouring money into since it is 15 years old. I thought the filter looked small compared to others I have seen, but the cost of a new filter is blowing me away! They're more than the pump, it seems. Makes no sense to me with no moving parts, but what do I know.

OK, if you are looking for a new pump, I would suggest a small 2-speed like the 1HP Pentair Superflo. This assumes you have 230V available for the pump and that you do not have any high flow rate needs that have not been disclosed (like waterfalls or spas).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.