Small mouse in pool...

I found one in my skimmer... well I found about 1 per day in my pool for about a week. They must have been thirsty. Usually I would catch them the morning after they fell in, in the skimmer. One day I didn't catch it until the evening after a hot day. So needless to say, when I opened the skimmer cover, it didn't smell like roses. I removed the mouse and put about a cup of bleach directly into the skimmer while the pump was off. I used a toilet brush to scrub the bottom, sides, lid of the skimmer. I then checked the FC and pH as I do daily later in the evening when the pump was running and noticed no difference from a normal evening test and bumped it to 7 FC instead of my normal 5-6 overnight. No issues since.

I don't worry about it. There are tons of germs from all kinds of sources that regularly enter the pool - that's why we use chlorine in the first place.

I did run across this from the CDC though: If the CDC says "don't worry about it" then you know it's not big deal, lol. They say 2 ppm chlorine will do the trick and I think we all use more than that on a regular basis.

For what it's worth I get about 3 mice a month in my pool and my chlorine never drops below 3.5.

I don't worry about it. There are tons of germs from all kinds of sources that regularly enter the pool - that's why we use chlorine in the first place.

I did run across this from the CDC though: If the CDC says "don't worry about it" then you know it's not big deal, lol. They say 2 ppm chlorine will do the trick and I think we all use more than that on a regular basis.

For what it's worth I get about 3 mice a month in my pool and my chlorine never drops below 3.5.

Oh I am more than 2 ppm regularly, mostly around 3-5 ppm, I also do tablets with BBB as I get a lot of rain and get to drain the pool and lose CYA. I guess I am good then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I get 3 or 4 per season average for the 50 years I have been running a pool in the same location (on the edge of a hay field). I have never done anything other than throw the corpse back in the field it came from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.