If I can't clean my cartridges.

Gig103

Jun 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all,
I am currently recovering from kidney surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. It's been a few weeks a after resorting to tabs I'm trying to get back to the TFPC method.

My cartridges are (over) due for a cleaning but I am not in a condition to do this. Floating in the pool (no swimming) and walking are the limits on my activity. To mitigate the negative effect of this, will it help if I increase the time my pump runs?

With such a high pressure increase and large pump, you run the risk of damaging your filters (collapsing) so I wouldn't run them longer than absolutely necessary for chlorine distribution. As long as you get enough chlorine in your pool, run time is really just about debris removal. BTW, what is the size of your filter (sqft) and when did you last clean them?

We had three dust storms in a row here in the valley so I'm fairly certain that's why the pressure increased so rapidly. I've seen mine go up 2 PSI in 5 days due to the storms and my cartridges are 420 sq ft. Phoenix got hit a little harder than us out here in the East Valley.

Regarding the Sq footage I don't know. There are four cartridges, it is a Clean and Clear Plus.

Also regarding the pressure, I have a tangent question. When I run the floor sweepers instead of the main return, the pressure on a freshly cleaned filter is 30psi. Is the danger you mention due to the debris?

No, in that case the restriction is due to the floor jets which is normal although 30 PSI is pretty high even for those. The issue with the filter is that when there is high restriction through the media, the pleats can potentially collapse. In most cases, they will rebound when cleaned but over time it could reduce the life of the cartridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.