My TF100 came in today and here are the results. Wondering where to start.

oldcaptainrusty

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2011
Jacksoville, Florida
Tested the pool with my TF100 for the 1st time today. The numbers are:
Salt 3600 ppm (Intex SWG recommends 3000 ppm)
CYA 40
FC 2ppm
CC 0
TA 110
pH 8.2
CH 475

Plugged in all the numbers in the Pool Math based on the TFPC in conjunction with the Water Balance for SWGs recommendations in the Pool School.
I understand how to do the recommended adjustments but have a couple of questions.

1. To adjust the TA it said to lower pH to 7.0 - 7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase the pH. The only aeration that I have is pointing the discharge nozzle toward the surface of the pool, a little rain and a little pool activity; typically 3 or 4 hours a week. How long could I expect it to take to bring the pH back up to acceptable levels?

2. With my CH at 475 do I really have to be concerned with a vinyl pool?

My water is crystal clear right now as it has been since I opened the pool the 1st of the month.

You'll get aeration from your SWG. Don't sweat the TA. It will take care of itself by keeping PH in range. Lower the PH now with acid.
Add some bleach to get your FC up also. 3-7 FC level for your current CYA level.
Don't be concerned about the CH either.
You should raise your CYA to 70-80. I would go to 70 and see how that works out. ?

Welcome to TFP!

I can't tell you about the TA or CH, but I can tell you that some people don't mess with the TA unless it causes pH shifts often.

Also, for a CYA level of 40, the minimum FC level needs to be 3 ppm. The recommended level is 5 ppm. See this for more information.

An unbalanced pH level will cause the chlorine to not be as effective, so you should work towards bringing that down. Also, btw, if your chlorine level ever goes above ~10 ppm, th pH can read falsely high.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll get aeration from your SWG. Don't sweat the TA. It will take care of itself by keeping PH in range. Lower the PH now with acid.
Don't be concerned about the CH either.
You should raise your CYA to 70-80. I would go to 70. ��

Should the CYA be that high for the OP, because of his/her location? I'm wondering, because a lady at the pool store told me to keep my CYA near 90 ppm, because I'm in Florida. I just assumed she was incorrect.

tell her to prove both her 90 recommendation and that CYA evaporates. If she can come up with any unbiased scientific data, then believe her.

for unbiased scientific on both accounts from TFPC, search the Deep End forum. Chemgeek explains it magnificently.

Oh, thanks. I thought 90 ppm seemed a little high. That lady also said that CYA evaporates with the water, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.