Green pool... Help!

Went on vacation and the person watching our house did not care for our pool. Came home to a dark green disgusting mess. Been working on it for about 4 weeks now and it's still green although we can almost see the bottom.

Here are our numbers as of today
Free chlorine- 6.03
Ph- 6.4
Alk- 79
Cya-34

We have replaced the sand for our filter. The pool store where we've been getting our numbers checked is trying to convince my husband to once again replace the sand with sand from their store. My husband used the pool filter sand from lowes and seems to think maybe the filter is not working because the gauge is reading 18?
Please help! He's getting frustrated and seems to want to follow the pool store and I've been saying no because we already tried it and it's not working. They are telling us our numbers are fine yet I'm looking at a green pool!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do yourself a favor and stop listening to the pool store.

Your pool is green because the FC level dropped too low while you were gone. To clear it up you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process (right now your FC is too LOW!!!). To do this correctly you will need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test. BTW, tftestkits.net ships out of NC, so you should be able to get the TF-100 in 1-2 days.

Sand in your filter almost never needs to be replaced. A filter will NEVER clear up a green pool. You have to kill everything faster than it is reproducing and then the filter will pull out the dead stuff.

Not knowing your background, I highly recommend you start reading Pool School, starting with the ABCs of Water Chemistry so that we are talking the same language.

Welcome to TFP !
I'm going to suggest you take Jason's advice. Read all the links he gave while your waiting for your test kit to come. When your kit arrives post up a full set of results and we can get things fixed up for ya.
When you have questions don't hesitate to ask ! ?

Good for you! Welcome to the best little (or not so little) pool forum in the world-TFP!

You are on the way to a clear pool. Read post #2 in this thread. He is telling just what you need to do. It WILL work and it will be cheap once you get the pool clear.

Tell your husband that that pool store's (store=a place that sells you stuff) "free" tests are not so free in that they test your water, tell you the numbers they came up with (that are WRONG most of the time), then tell you what to BUY.

In this case you can spend a little money (buy a good test kit) to save a LOT of money (only having to buy chlorine for the most part).

Of course it will take quite a bit of chlorine to clear the green but after it is clear you are set!

Let us know if there are any other questions or things we can help with.

Kim

My husband is all for skipping the pool store, he just seems to need me to tell him exactly what to do :) and I'm new to the pool world. I'm going to order a test kit tonight. I'm guessing there's no way we will be swimming by this weekend. What's the difference in using bleach and chlorine while slaming it?

The gauge has always read around 18 I believe.
I ordered the k-2006 test kit last night. We went ahead and poured bleach in based on the calculations from our numbers yesterday and have been going out every few hours to stir it up, brush and add more. Still looks the same. My husband wants to switch to chlorine today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bleach IS chlorine. You'll need to SLAM the pool (read that page again in pool school). Keep the pump running. Keep the FC levels up. It's going to take days if not a week or two to be sparkling clear, but we'll get you there. The pool will be green, then go cloudy white as the algae dies, then the filter will slowly clear it all out.

Until you get your K-2006, you're not going to know how much chlorine you have above 5.0, so it's a crapshoot right now. Be patient!

Wow, sorry about that. It had to have shipped out on the 29th if you ordered the evening of the 28th and being in the same state I would have though you would have delivery by the 30th. I hope it arrives today, I am puzzled if it does not.

BTW, with a SLAM in your future, you likely will need to order FAS-DPD reagent refills since you only got the K-2006 and are likely to run out before you are done. May as well get CYA refill while you are at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.