Newbie - Been trolling but now ready for help!

Jul 31, 2008
Cartreville, IL
Been trolling and finding the site very helpful. I've been to the pool school and I think I have a good idea were I'm headed, I need some reassurance. Here are my current numbers:

FC 3
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 110
Pool Temp - 90

My pH has been really low, but I have been able to get it to a respectable range by adding Borax daily for about the last five days.

My supposed to be white fiberglass steps are currently YELLOW. Is it directly related to my sky high CYA number? I'm currently in the process of draining about one half of my pool water and will be replacing with new water. Should I clean the steps when the water level is low or will they take care of themselves when and if I get everything balanced. My wife is bound and determined to go out and throw every household chemical possible on the steps to try to get them white again. Will Oxyclean and other household products negatively effect my numbers?

Does my high water temperatures contribute to CYA going higher than normal? Are the two related?

Thanks in adavnce for any help you can provide and the guidance offered by this website. I love my pool, but love it a lot more when the water is crystal clear!!!

Re: Newbie - Ben trolling but now ready for help!

As far as I can tell

Your CL level is too low for your CYA level.

Best to do a partial drain and refill to get your CYA number to a more reasonable level.

Someone else will chime in with more info I'm sure, but 30-50 ppm of CYA is a reasonable level for a non-swg pool. A little higher for one with an swg system.

I will bet that the yellow steps are from iron. Hold a vitamin C tablet on the stain for about 30 seconds. If the area under the tablet is clean then read this:
ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298.html
I would not try this until the weather turns cooler so you don't have as much chance for an algae bloom.
IF the vitamin c doesn't work the stain will not be easy to remove.

You also need to get your CYA down. It is way too high! I assume you are using trichlor for chlorination. That is the reason your CYA is so high, plain and simple. It's also the reason your pH was really low.

Hi there.

Do you mean for your title to read "Newbie - Ben" or "Newbie - Been"?

What color is your water? Blue, green, cloudy, hazy?

What are you testing with? Strips, kit, is this from a pool store test?

Also, do you know your CC reading?

Your numbers are a bit out of balance, PH is borderline low, CYA likely too high, if the result is accurate. What were you using to sanitize your pool, your daily chlorine source? Also, what kind of product were you shocking your pool with?

If you were using a stabilized chlorine source, that would explain your low ph, and high CYA. Cloudy water can also make CYA tests read high....But I'm pretty sure your FC is too low regardless. WE'll figure it out tho. And no, high water temp doesn't affect your CYA reading.

Can you describe the yellowing? Is it in the surface, or does it brush away easily? It could be a metals stain. Have you used any kind of algaecide lately?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I have all the info before I advise you.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

If you are using tables for your chlorine source that will make your CYA go up. Typically your CYA should be between 30- 50 and the only way to lower it is by a partial drain and fill. Using strictly liquid bleach as your source of sanitizing your pool will prevent this from happening.

We need to now what size and type of pool you have as well as the type of filter equipment your using and any other equipment you have such as a SWG etc so we can help you determine how chemicals to add ....
That info can be added to your signature so your not typing it every time you post. You can go to the user control panel to add this info!

Welcome to TPF ! :wave:

Hi lion_pal,

You have received a lot of great advice!

lion-pal said:
My wife is bound and determined to go out and throw every household chemical possible on the steps to try to get them white again.
um, bad idea.

lion-pal said:
Does my high water temperatures contribute to CYA going higher than normal? Are the two related?
No. But, higher water temps use more chlorine and you are already at a huge disadvantage w/your high CYA.

I also think your first priority is getting your CYA level under control with partial drains/refills.

Welcome to the forum :-D

ETA: Very nice first post! :goodjob: Got your sig and most all the test #'s!

Thanks for the quick repsonses and great advice. I'll try to answer all questions in one post.

Subject should have read: Newbie Been trolling - My name is Keith not Ben
My water is currently cloudy - I can see the drain in the deep end but just barely.
I am currently testing with OTO cheapy from WalMart. I have a Taylor on order.
I "have been" using trichlor for everyday sanitizing and Super Sock It for shocking.
I have no clue what my CC level is????
Steps cleaned fairly easy using Borax and a scratcher.
I have not used any kind of algaecide lately.
I thought I included all vital pool information in my signature? If you have any specific questions about my equipment, just let me know.

Some of the stuff listed above will make many of you cringe when reading it. I'm just getting started with BBB Method, so please be patient with me.

Thanks again,
Keith

lion_pal said:
Thanks for the quick repsonses and great advice. I'll try to answer all questions in one post.

Subject should have read: Newbie Been trolling - My name is Keith not Ben
My water is currently cloudy - I can see the drain in the deep end but just barely.
I am currently testing with OTO cheapy from WalMart. I have a Taylor on order.
I "have been" using trichlor for everyday sanitizing and Super Sock It for shocking.
I have no clue what my CC level is????
Steps cleaned fairly easy using Borax and a scratcher.
I have not used any kind of algaecide lately.
I thought I included all vital pool information in my signature? If you have any specific questions about my equipment, just let me know.

Some of the stuff listed above will make many of you cringe when reading it. I'm just getting started with BBB Method, so please be patient with me.

Thanks again,
Keith

Hi Keith! Where is Carterville? I'm outside Chicago.

If your water is cloudy, it's possible that your CYA test is slightly lower than 110, cloudy water can make the CYA test read higher.... But I would still drain about 3 inches below the skimmer and replace with fresh water so that your CYA can be a more manageable number, the recommended 30-50 will happen in due time. But to kill and prevent algae with a CYA that high will be a losing battle. Good choice on switching from the pucks.

The yellow may have been algae. With a CYA of 100 your minimum FC would have been 7, so it's easy to see why your water is cloudy, based on your other numbers, it's probably algae.

You'll see your PH begin to stabilize now that you are going with BBB. The use of the pucks and powder shocking product (if it was dichlor or trichlor) contributed to the high CYA and low PH.

So do a partial drain, add fresh water, retest the CYA and then shock according to the CYA chart in my signature. Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much liquid chlorine to add to bring it to the appropriate shock level.

This will clear, and as long as you maintain the proper FC levels, you won't get algae and you won't need to routinely shock your pool.

Remember to brush daily and run your filter 24/7 until the cloudiness clears up.

Lastly, have some POP, Pool Owner Patience, all will be fine! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.