Replacing Intex 1600 gph sand filter with 2650 version.

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
My Intex 1600 gph pump died after only 2 weeks (in another thread). Intex is sending another motor under warranty.
But meanwhile, I wonder if I shouldn't just get this bigger filter on Amzon Prime, it's so cheap and having a backup seems like a good idea.

Intex 2800 Gallon Filter

Have a couple questions though:

1. Would it work with my SWG (see my signature). I don't see why it wouldn't.
2. Could I use the 1600 gph motor I will get on warranty as a backup for if/when this one burns out?
3. Is it OK for these motors to be outside in the direct 105 degree Arizona sun?

Thanks for any answers! Will be out of town for a few days soon and would like the pump working again.

You may want to consider the Intex 2650gph 16" filter. The sand capacity on this unit is 110lbs, I believe it is the largest capacity filter they offer. Based on the size of your pool I think the larger filter would serve you better. It has plenty of flow for vacuuming and circulation. Just throwing it out there for your consideration.

This one???

Seems like it's even bigger (120 lbs sand, 3000 gph). Why not at that price?

Not exactly. The one I was refering to is 2650gph and 110lbs capacity. They are all on the Intex website, the one I've recommended as well as the two you have linked.

A couple years ago when I was in the market the 2650gph 16" 100lb filter seemed like the "go to" for Intex upgrade. It is serving me well, and is still available. It's just been this year where I've seen the two you've provided links to pop up. Looking at the pictures they look very similar. I do not now the differences, or why they are offering such similar units.

Good choice, I think you'll be glad you went with the bigger one.

Too bad you don't have a 2650 to compare it to. I've been wondering what the difference is. If it was just marketing changes or if they have made changes to the unit.

The way they throw around gallon ratings makes it confusing. If you look at the 3rd picture of the "3200" gallon one that you posted you'll see a picture of the package. It shows system flow rate of 2,450 which matches the specs of the newer 16" filter I got from downloading the manual.

Odd that the old 16" manual indicates 100 lbs sand capacity with 2,650 system flow rate whereas the new 16" manual indicates 120 lbs sand capacity with 2,450 system flow rate. They both state 6 amp motors. Old states 60 psi maximum working pressure and New states 30 psi.

For what it's worth, this is the picture of the new filter and my now sparkly clean water. The tank is at least twice as big as the puny 1600 gph that came with the pool.
The model # of the new one is SF60110. The old one was SF80110.
This one has a standard intex hose attachment on the backwash port instead of whatever friction fit output the old one had.

It also reads much lower PSI. 5 instead of the 10 the old pump always read.

2014-08-01 14.34.53.jpg

2014-08-01 14.35.04.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.