OK I just need to confirm what I need to do ...

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Ok so last Friday we shocked the pool and within a day about 95% of the green algae was gone. FC appeared to stay high so I did not add anymore bleach. Unfortunately CYA was 0 up until yesterday -- it is now and has been for 2 days 60.

So results as of tonight are

FC - 2
CYA - 60
pH - 7.4
alkalinity - 50

My problem -- the water is very cloudy and has been for 2 days. Filter has been running 24/7 at full capacity for 2 days now and we have been changing the cartridge each day.

Based on the info I have read here and the charts I am looking at I still have algae (even its not green of course) and need to shock the pool again. My shock level for a CYA level of 60 should be 23.7.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

You need to keep shocking your pool until you:

1) Have a FC loss of less than 1 ppm during the night.
2) Have NO CC in your water tests
3) Clear water

Brush the pool as often as you can ....

Your pool will turn cloudy before it clears up so you are on your way to having a crystal clear pool! It takes a lot of POP Pool Owners Patience ...

I thought I was on the right track as the water has been getting better, we have just kind of stalled out at this cloudy phase.

Time to get some more bleach.

I did forget to mention that I am running an Intek SWG as well.

Greg

If you stop shocking to early the algae will just grow back again and you will be right back to square 1. The cloudiness you see is dead algae in the water and is usually the last phase you see before it starts to clear. If you cant already you will start to be able to see deeper and deeper into the pool each day and start to be able to make out the bottom of the pool.

Post a full set of numbers if you could as well please ....

Just keep shocking and brushing and keeping your filter clean and you should start to see clearer water .

Good Luck !

Hi Greg,

Along with the full set of test numbers Tiz asked for, could you also add your pool/equipment specs in your sig?

You can do that by going in to the User Control Panel located at the top/left under the TFP Logo. Go to Profile, then Edit Signature.

This will help us help you :wink:

Those test results are all I can give since my crummy test kit only does those tests. I have already the right kit from TF Test Kits which should be here in a few days.

Equipment list added.

Greg

The cloudyness will take a few days to disipate(sp?), especially with the small Intex carts. You can wash those BTW. We had mild aglae (just on the floor and walls) and I brought the CL up to 10 PPM (CYA 60) vacuumed, and it was all gone the next day, I kept it at 10 ppm for an extra day to be sure. The pool has been cloudy for 4 days, and today it was clear, but not crystal, hopefully tomorrow it will be though. :mrgreen: This is with a Sand filter, running 9 hours a day.

POP is all you need now,
Adam

Hi Greg,

It just seems to take the Intex pumps filters longer to clear up the cloudy water than regular sand or cartridge type filters. So have some patience. That being said, at the start of your thread, you mentioned your FC was 2. According to the CYA chart, your target for FC should be 4, and at a minimum 3. If you let it drop below 3 you'll risk another algae outbreak. Just wanted to mention it.

Good luck, have some POP. :-D

Yep I noticed that as well. Unfortunately from when I posted it was the first chance I had to test the water in the last 24+ hours so I didn't get a chance to add more bleach until last night.

I hit with enough to get it to shock level. I will retest when I get home tonight. Unfortunately my crummy test kit only goes to 5ppm for FC testing purposes but the new kit from TF Test kits is shipping today and I should have soon to keep better control of the water quality.

At least I finally got the CYA level up enough to do some good as it was basically 0 for quite some time.

The wife and kids have their fingers crossed I can get this straight by Monday as they have some friends coming over and they hope to go swimming.

At least the pool is no longer a green cesspool :-D

We have been considering changing to a sand filter set up but I am just not sure if that would be better than a cartridge based system. I like the simplicity of the cartridge system that's for sure and based on the pool school a cartridge should be able to filter down to a smaller micron than sand. However as I look around a lot of you seem to be using sand filters.

Greg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.