First numbers

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I close on a bank owned home Wednesday. The pool had a new liner installed last Tuesday and the pool was filled Tuesday/Wednesday. The pool company has put minimal chemicals in knowing I was taking over my own pool care. They put a puck in the skimmer and that is now gone. I don't know what else they have put in. The bank had them cover the pool on Friday with the mesh loop and lock cover. The pump is running 24/7.

I went this morning and pulled the cover back and grabbed a sample from the deep end. There is no thermometer in the pool yet but it has been in the mid 90's and the temps are falling into the 70's after today.

Here are the results...

with the drop kit
PH 7.3
CL 2.4

With my TF 100

FC .2
CC .25
CH 125
The alkalinity test never turned I quit after 36 drops.
CYA less than 20 I filled the entire tube and could still faintly see the dot.

Feeling a little lost here. My kids are away and coming home from camp on Monday and I am worried I am going to have a green swamp. I can't add anything to the pool until Wednesday.

As long as you can maintain adequate FC, you will not get a swamp. You've already got a great test kit and as much help as you need (here).

I would raise the FC CYA to 30-40, and keep the FC in the 4-5 range if you can :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you explain how you did the FAS-DPD chlorine test in the TF-100? Those numbers do not make sense and I think you may have multiplied wrong.

What color was the TA test? Can you test the tap water?
Not surprising that the CYA is likely nearly 0 if the only thing added was 1 tablet.

If you can't add anything, then there is not much you can do besides start gathering chemicals. You are going to need CYA and bleach.

I thought that putting tablets into a skimmer is a no no. I thought that their low pH could damage pool equipment. Have I been misguided; you're more experienced than me?
The pump is running 24/7, it says in the first post. The acid will be diluted and carried away, unlike setting a puck in the skimmer to dissolve with no flow for hours and hours.

First I did the test in the little blue box.

Then I started in with the TF 100. I followed each step carefully it took me over a half an hour lol. I followed the directions on the card and reread them a couple of times before doing each test. That doesn't mean there isn't user error.

The TA test never changed it stayed clear. I will grab a water sample from the outside faucet when I go over there this afternoon.

I have an inline chlorination thingy I will throw the pucks in there.

A CC of 0.25 is not possible as each drop is either 0.2ppm (if you use 25ml of water) or 0.5ppm (if you use 10ml of water, which is recommended). So that makes me wonder if you multiplied wrong.

Also I am not sure how you came up with a TC of 2.4 from the yellow OTO test ... unless you are remarkably better at distinguishing shades of yellow than the rest of us ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Track how many tablets you are adding so that you can estimate the CYA rise from them.

How long are you waiting to test? The chlorine and pH test should be done fairly quickly after getting the sample or the results may change.

I put three pucks in. Two in the chlorination thing and one in the skimmer. If I need to I can pull the remains out after closing on Wednesday.

It took about 45 minutes from sample to test. I had to drive back to my hotel.

Re-tested and felt much more comfortable this time.

Tap Water:

PH 7.5
CL 0
BR 0

TF 100 results

CL 0
FC .25
CC 0
TA 100

Pool Sample

PH 7.2
CL between 2-3
BR 0

TF 100 results
FC 4
CC .25
TA 80
Calcium 75

Do these look more normal?

Okay I will get another sample tomorrow and record the steps exactly. I honestly can't remember the drops I used how much water the test called for. I will make sure I get the exact info needed. Thnx for all your help.

Getting these samples isn't easy. The yard is locked and I have to climb the fence:) I feel like a criminal. Then wrestling off the cover enough to get a sample is not easy.

All the tests are done until the last drop causes no further color change, and that drop is not counted.

With FC and CC numbers like 0.25 ... I can not figure out if you are dividing the number of drops by 4 instead of 2 or 5 or what is going on. I just want to be sure you are doing things correctly.

Things have been crazy and I never got another round of tests. I have had pool guy treat pool this week so I didn't have to deal with it.

I just ran numbers...

Pool temp 78
PH 7.2
CL 3
BR 6

TF-100 numbers

CL 2.5
CC 0
CH 75
TA 40
CYA 20

Do these look more normal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.