What should the TA be for a newly plastered pool...plus a few other questions

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

In a previous thread I raised some questions about keeping down the TA and pH in my replastered pool. I'd like to check on what the TA should actually be. The reason I ask this is that my pool store has always suggested a range of 125-150, which my plasterer told me is actually a bit on the high side. I've read on other sites where it should be 80-120. Which is the better range? And should the TA be adjusted higher once the plaster cures over the coming weeks?

One other question I have is - should the balancing be adjusted differently for when the pool is closed over winter? Or should TA and Calcium hardness be pretty much the same as during the swimming season?

Thanks.

Unless you are doing a bicarbonate startup you can pretty much ignore TA for the first month or so. TA will be going up as the plaster cures, and get lowered back down as you add acid to keep the PH under control. The net effect is that TA usually ends up right about where it should be at the end of the first month. In any case, you adjust TA to the normal range at the end of the first month and maintain it normally from there.

The important thing with fresh plaster is to keep the PH in range.

I recommend a high TA (Bicarb start-up) for the first month as the best approach for newly plastered pools, including quartz and pebble.
But after one month, lower and maintain the TA between 80 to 120 ppm for best balance and ease of maintenance.

Edit: Written without seeing JL response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.