Regular Home Tankless Water Heater to heat pool?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to heat the pool water with a regular tankless water heater used in homes? I was thinking I could just plumb it with the correct valves to either heat house water or the pool and use the pool pump to pump the water through the heater.

What do you think? Is this a really dumb idea?

Thanks.

Nevermind, I found this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...a-tankless-water-heater-to-heat-a-pool-or-spa

I'd mostly be concerned about the number of BTUs that tankless heater is capable of. Wouldn't be worth it if it is a low number and you have to run it for a week solid to get 5 degrees out of the pool temperature rise.

I would make sure that your pump doesn't exceed the water heater's max flow rate. My Noritz Tankless water heater is rated at 8.4 gal/min max while my pump can move lots more water.
I'd also be conserned about running pool water through part of your drinking water plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.