RKusina, First time pool owner

RKusina

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2014
Wichita Falls, TX
Hi everyone, I just bought a house with a pool on Friday, but for the past week I have been on this website researching on pool maintenance. I have an 18000 Gallon Inground pool. I have learnt so much from reading pool school and just purchased a TF-100. My pool (according to the pool store) is pretty good with the chemicals except a little low on TA and PH. I am planning on adding Borates to my pool and trying the BBB method in general. If you have any tips or advice on equipment to get please let me know (only have a leaf rake, brush, and vacum atm). Thanks for the amazing resource on pools!!

pool.jpg

You have made a good choice on the test kit, plus you are ahead by already reading pool school. Keep reading and asking questions if you are confused about something. I know when I bought my house with a pool trying to learn was like drinking from a fire hose.

Please post the pool store results. You want to keep chlorine it the pool so you don't have problems before your test kit gets here.

I know you probably have no clue as to what equipment you have, but it would help us if you would do an inventory and add the following information to your signature:

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

So, welcome to TFP!!

Glad you found us and welcome! :handwave:

Posting full test results once you can with your TF-100 will get you better advice. Getting very familiar with using Pool Math helps a great deal.

Also, be sure add the details of your pool to your forum signature (check out my signature and others). That way, your pool information shows up each time you post, making it easier to make recommendations.

Good luck (although you don't need it with TFPC)!

Thanks for the sig advise! My FC was 4.8 as far as the other readings I had 2 different stores test the water (particually because the first didnt have the test for metals) and noticed COMPLETELY DIFFERENT results in almost every measurement. Only measurements even close were FC and TA. I did get a CC reading of around .4 so I would like to SLAM pretty soon. Thanks again for the advice

Thanks for the sig advise! My FC was 4.8 as far as the other readings I had 2 different stores test the water (particually because the first didnt have the test for metals) and noticed COMPLETELY DIFFERENT results in almost every measurement. Only measurements even close were FC and TA. I did get a CC reading of around .4 so I would like to SLAM pretty soon. Thanks again for the advice
0.4 CC is an OK result, no need to worry about a SLAM just based on that.

if the photo above is recent and that is how it looks now just keep chlorine in there until you get your test kit.

Keep reading Pool School (link at the top of every page). We want you to take control of your pool and understand what is going on with it.

I would hold off on borates until you've had a few weeks' practice maintaining the chemistry and know your pool. It will be one less parameter to juggle.

You've already made two major steps towards troublefree pool care. You have a test kit, and you recognize that pool store results can't be relied upon. Make that three steps. You found this website and have actually taken the time to read Pool School.

Yes the photo is just a couple days old. I still cant believe how different the 2 different pool store results were. I will deffinitly take the advise to hold off on raising the Borate level for a bit, BUT since my PH is pretty low I was considering using the Borax to increase it. Should I go ahead with that method of PH adjustment?

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement thus far. Im in class to learn how to teach for the military, and I did one of my presentations on Pool Maintenance and used Pool school as my only source. I keep learning more everytime I visit this site. Glad I found it! :D

Yes the photo is just a couple days old. I still cant believe how different the 2 different pool store results were. I will deffinitly take the advise to hold off on raising the Borate level for a bit, BUT since my PH is pretty low I was considering using the Borax to increase it. Should I go ahead with that method of PH adjustment?
You can do that if you want. You could also look around and see if they left any pool chemicals behind, which is cheaper!

I would definitely hold off on the borates til you can predict your pool's behavior when it comes to chomping chemicals. :lol: Get to know your pool and then maybe next spring, go for it!

Congrats on the new house, new pool and welcome to TFP! :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support