Education

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
The education on this site is great! I haven't had algae at all, my water is clear (except for the dust that gets blown in, since I live in the desert) and I haven't had a problem balancing my water. I use the TF-100 test kit to test my water. I use liquid chlorine almost 100 percent of the time, and have only occasionally had to put in muriatic acid to adjust the Ph. I've deviated from liquid chlorine twice recently; using cal-hypo shock, but I knew that my calcium was low enough to do so, and how much calcium it would add. I also used tri-chlor in a floatie for vacation, but my CYA was under 40, my TA a little high, and my Ph about 7.8, so I knew that using tri-chlor for a week wouldn't hurt and would even help.

And I don't spend very much time at all with chemicals and testing. I spend most of my time in the pool, not worrying about keeping it swimmable! Thanks, TFP, for helping this new pool owner learn how to take care of her pool and have a fun first summer of ownership! :lol: :lol:

I agree, this place is where it's at.

Already I've gleaned some more knowledge about pools.

Another great resource is Terry Tamminem's pool books. (no affiliation)

Look them up on Amazon!

As you can see here there is no discussion about the relationship of chlorine to CYA nor even how CYA reduces chlorine's effectivness except a vague reference to problems when the CYA gets above 100 ppm. A good book in many respects, but it misses many points on pool water chemistry such as how to lower TA and the book says to always adjust TA first and then pH (which is true if the pH is OK or high, but not if it's low and you then use pH Up to raise it -- you'll overshoot your TA if you do that).

Richard

That's quite a hole there isn't it?

I have the book on my coffee table and will have to check it out again.

Can't believe it skipped relationship to CYA and Chlorine. Seems pretty basic to me that the two are definitely related and one doesn't last without the other, and one, well it can outwear it's welcome in high doses.

Now that the dust storm season is just about over, I don't even get the dust anymore! I thought my pool was good then, but now it is clear, clear clear! Although I did get a praying mantis a few days ago. Unfortunately, it was dead by the time I saw it.

xjrguy said:
Another great resource is Terry Tamminem's pool books. (no affiliation)
He knows a lot more about pool equipment than pool chemisty. His testing and chemistry section is very small and basic compared to other parts of his book.
The book is a worthwhile (if somewhat dated) reference on equipment, however!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.