Moving on up. Moving from a house with an ABG to an inground pool

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
Hi all, I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, BBB has been so easy to maintain my pool these last three years. We just found out today our offer has been accepted for a home with an inground pool. I don't have the exact stats yet but it looks to be a grecian style with steps on the side, liner, with a DE filter (I'm used to sand filter). I'm not sure of the pump size but it looks a lot bigger than my 1.5 horse power. No heater, no spa. Right now they have a chlorine floater in it and the liner is completely faded out, it looks to be intact but the pool will look a lot nicer once it has a new liner. The concrete around the pool is Cool teck I think it is called? The house is about 15 years old so the pool isn't older than that but I'm not sure of the exact age. There are some shrubs around the pool but not any tall trees.

So how much more money and how much more difficult is taking care of an unground vs. above? I'd really appreciate any insight.

Thank you for the replies, we are planning on doing the home inspection on Friday, I know the home inspector won't certify the pool but I'll be able to poke around more when I'm there and note all of the equipment. Anything I should be looking out for?

I went from an AGP to an inground plaster pool. I had taken care of the opening,closing and maintenance myself with the AGP. Not that I may not be able to but I have my inground opened in the spring and closed and winterized in the fall. They do some rewiring in the fall so we can keep our hot tub open until December in which they come back and winterize. We don't like taking any chances with above ground pipes running in the winter with potentially 20deg below zero temps. Make sure you really blow everything out well if you do it yourself. Even after having them do the winterizing I still had a valve crack after the winter once. They charge $1k to open and another $1K to close (I know not cheap!). I maintain it myself when the pool is open.

I was planning on having the pool winterized by the pool store this fall. I figure I'll watch what they do and then next fall I'll do it all myself and just pay to have the lines blown out. If I can learn enough over the spring I'll open myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.