Sand Filter Question

Jul 30, 2008
Haughton, LA
I have a 150lb sand filter. I purchased 3ea 50lb pool filter sand bags from home cheapo (hence 150lbs). I put all three bags in, however the filter is 3/4 full. Does the sand need to be close to the top of the pvc pipe in the filter? Say a few inches from the top? Also, I turned it on for the first time and for roughly a minute sand came out untill it cleared. Is this normal, or is my pump too strong for that size filter?

It's normal for it not to come to the top of the filter. There's some turbulence inside. It's also normal for some sand to come out when you first start it. It's best to rinse for a while before filtering with new sand.

A 1.5 h.p pump on a filter that only takes 150 lb of sand sounds too big. A 1.5 h.p pump will usually deliver about 60 to 85 gpm. A filter that takes 150 lb of sand will typically have a design flow rate of about 40 to 45 gpm. What is the flow rate listed on the filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.