Did 1st test of season, not sure what method to follow...guidance please!!

Jun 25, 2013
Green Bay, WI
So i brought a TF 100 kit last season and had very minimal maintenance with the pool aside from occasional chlorine and adding a sock full of something (don't recall chemical name).

So i left the pool half full through our WI winter and opened it about 2 months ago. I shocked it and it cleared up pretty good. Added a sand filter vs. stock intex unit. Now the only thing i've been fitting is keeping the bottom clean. We have zero trees to speak off so all the stuff on the bottom looks like dark dust bunnies like you'd find in your house. Seems like it comes back in a matter of a day or 2.

So i dug out the TF-100 kit and here are the results:
Ph 8.2 (using basic test)
FC 2
CC 0
TA 250
CH 110
CYA 20 (i could still faintly see the dot with the tube filled)

So i have 4 gallons of shock sitting in the garage and no other chemicals. So i really don't have a preference on which system i use...whatever is quick and easy so i don't have to keep vacumming :)

Suggestions?

First, get some muriatic acid and get your ph down. Then use some more 12.5% to get your fc up to recommended levels. Your cc suggests you don't have something going on in your pool. I've never seen anything like Brown dust bunnies, so I have no idea what they are. Can you vacuum them up? You need to get your cya up a bit too. Up there in cooler country (I spent the first 27 years of my life in Sheboygan and Oshkosh so I know it can get hot you there too), you might not need as much as we do down here, but ~30 or so would be good.

GO PACK!!!!

I'm headed to town this afternoon, so Muriatic Acid is all i should buy if i have 4 gallons of shock already here?
I thought 0 CC was good....must have misread that article.

If i had to guess, those dust bunnies are algae. When i vac them up they go right through the vac filter into the main pool filter. When i had the old intex filter and i would vac those up, a green cloud would come out of the outlet port.

Sounds like you need to SLAM your pool. You mention having "shock" on hand. If that is dichlor, trichlor or cal-hypo you will be adding things to your pool that you don't necessarily need. You do need to get your PH down and you would use muriatic acid to do that.

You should do some reading in pool school. Start wit ABC's of pool water chemistry here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Then read up on the SLAM process here.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

The "conditioner" you have is cyanuric acid (CYA). From your tests above yours looks low. I strongly suggest you start with ABC's of pool water chemistry.

Sounds like you need to SLAM your pool. That is a process and not a one time addition of product. It isn't uncommon at all to have algae with 0CC's. And....what you're describing sounds like algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.