Goldline "Sense and Dispense" Controller any Feedback

Jul 29, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone used the Goldline "Sense and Dispense" unit which continuously monitors ORP and PH levels, and controls the output of the SWG and optionally the PH with an additional unit via CO2 injection?

I have had problems keeping the FC levels down with the cover closed. I have been experiencing problems with staining when the FC levels get high.

My thoughts are that with the controller in place the SWG output would be increased by the controller when the pool is used on the weekend and once the autocover is closed the control would automatically lower the output and stabilize the FC levels.

Any info regarding the effectiveness would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

There was a recent discussion of this unit. I haven't heard from anyone who actually has one.

It uses an ORP sensor to detect the FC level. All ORP sensors share some quirks, for many people they work well but for a few people they are inconsistent and for a few they won't work at all. If it works for you it will do exactly what you want.

Also, like all other such units, it adds complexity to your system. When it works properly it can save a great deal of time, but there are additional maintenance chores and more parts that could possibly fail. I have an AutoPilot Total Control system, which has the same basic features, but without the connection to an automation system. I love it, but opening and closing the pool for the season is more work and there are more things to check when something goes wrong.

Thanks for the feedback. I had not seen the previous post I guess I should have searched.

Any info on conditions causing ORP inconsistancy would be appreciated.

I have already ordered both the AQL-CHEM and AQL-CHEM2 units from poolsupply.com for ~ $725 including shipping because the local dealers in Canada want $1500.00 CAD. Units should be here next week. I will complete the install myself. I will start with with ORP control and work into the PH control side.

Within the last week I purchased the Taylor K-2006 and K-1106 Phospate test kit through the Canadian distributor as the US distributors will not ship to Canada due to MSDS restrictions.

I am currently bringing my TA(currently 150ppm) into line with MA and aeration, my CA levels measure about 700ppm due to my following pool store test recommendations. I believe that the Pool Store tests are incorrect by a factor of two, I will be testing this theory once I have my pool balanced.

My CYA levels measure <20ppm following a recent algae episode, something consumed my CYA as I have added enough this year for a level of at lease 40ppm.

Any recommendations for CYA level with SWG and ORP controler?

Is the addition of Borax something that I should consider and would it have any effect on the ORP controller?

A good test kit is definitely worth the investment as I finally have a handle on my pool chemistry.

Anyone have cheap source for 20lb CO2 cylinder(possibly in Ontario).

I will provide feedback on the "Sense and Dispense" unit once I have the unit installed and operating.

Thanks for your help, this is a great site and I have learned a great deal on this site within the last week.

Borax is fine with both ORP and SWG.

CYA needs to be 50 or lower with ORP. Lower levels give somewhat more reliable operation but place additional load on the SWG (lower CYA means more chlorine lost to sunlight so more chlorine needed from the SWG). In most cases this isn't a big deal and CYA can be anywhere in the 30-50 range.

It seems to be very difficult to predict which pools will have problems with ORP control. There was a commercial pool operator posting a while back about several nearly identical pools where a couple of them didn't work and the others were fine even though nothing he could measure was different. All I can really say is that most pools are fine.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I will aim for CYA of 30 as my cover is typically closed unless I am using the pool so the load on the SWG should be minimized.

I also have seen Waterbears post on water chemistry for SWG's which provides excellent information.

I also found a source for 20lb CO2 cylinder $105.00 + tax canadian at a hydroponics store.

Thanks again.

Bear in mind, ORP is affected by pH. Lower pH will increase ORP, higher pH will lower ORP so steady pH is crucial to controlling FC via ORP.

If the Sense & Dispense has a "pH priority" or "pH block" mode I would use that. This basically stops a controller from overfeeding FC if the pH increases and isn't corrected. Since you aren't starting with pH automation you need to pay extra attention to this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.