Does anybody's pool get too HOT to swim in?

Jul 13, 2014
Fresno, California
I am a new pool owner took so much work to get my backyard all set up for it. Lots of money spent. I'm trying to enjoy it finally had my first dip yesterday but man this thing gets hot fast. It can get in the 100's around here during the day but still we're talking even at night it's almost too hot to enjoy. The more people that are in it the worse it gets. I am wondering if a tarp would help but I really doubt it. I kind of feel like the pool was a big mistake this was the last "problem" I thought I'd run into.:mad::(

JB, you need to run your pump/filter at night and look into a fountain to cool the pool. Search the forum using the search feature at the top right under pool school for Intex fountains and you will come up with a slew of hits!

I'm still trying to get mine to 80. I get close and then the weather plummets!

A tarp as a pool cover will make it worse. A tarp strung up as a sunshade should help some. And then there's the evaporative cooler/ fountain option where you squirt water up into the air and it cools off as some evaporates before it lands in the pool, as the others have mentioned.

Our pool temp had been running in the upper 80's (86-88) since I got it CLEAN and it was actually "ok" because the air temps were in the mid 90's most of the time. Early last week we went thru a cool-down and some rain. After doing some work in the garage and getting hot -n- sticky, I decided to take a dip in the pool ... ummmm, WOW - very invigorating ! I didn't notice it during the cool-down or right before the dip but the water was down to 79!

A fountain like cooler can help. I have tinkered with several designs over the years (still not done)......but the latest design is pvc screwed into a 1.5" return and split into 2 smaller 3/4 inch pvc pipes that goe up about 2ft each with single sprinkler heads screwed in. Last night the water temp was 90. Ran this all night and water is now 86. I'm sure there are better designs than mine and searching the sight will give lots of ideas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 14 x 48" Intex and I have an 11' diameter offset umbrella that I swing over the pool during the day. It helps a lot. I leave it partially over the pool when I swim so that I will have about 2 feet of shade for my shaved head white self to be in. I stand there where I can conveniently reach a 42" table next to the pool where I have my cocktails, remote for bluetooth speakers, and tablet. :D The tall table has two tall chairs and I swing the umbrella over them when I want to sit there.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-11-ft-dia-Solar-Powered-Patio-Umbrella-in-Tan-UXS01601C/203470116

I have a 14 x 48" Intex and I have an 11' diameter offset umbrella that I swing over the pool during the day. It helps a lot. I leave it partially over the pool when I swim so that I will have about 2 feet of shade for my shaved head white self to be in. I stand there where I can conveniently reach a 42" table next to the pool where I have my cocktails, remote for bluetooth speakers, and tablet. :D The tall table has two tall chairs and I swing the umbrella over them when I want to sit there.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-11-ft-dia-Solar-Powered-Patio-Umbrella-in-Tan-UXS01601C/203470116
That umbrella is a good idea. Sounds like you got a good setup.

I'm jealous. Im in the same boat as Casey. 79 has been the normal temp of my pool for the past 2 weeks. And its only supposed to hit 69 degrees here today. Lower 70s all week. It'll be the middle of August before I see 83 degree water temps again...

I am a new pool owner took so much work to get my backyard all set up for it. Lots of money spent. I'm trying to enjoy it finally had my first dip yesterday but man this thing gets hot fast. It can get in the 100's around here during the day but still we're talking even at night it's almost too hot to enjoy. The more people that are in it the worse it gets. I am wondering if a tarp would help but I really doubt it. I kind of feel like the pool was a big mistake this was the last "problem" I thought I'd run into.:mad::(

JB, you need to run your pump/filter at night and look into a fountain to cool the pool. Search the forum using the search feature at the top right under pool school for Intex fountains and you will come up with a slew of hits!

I'm still trying to get mine to 80. I get close and then the weather plummets!

I have been thinking about putting in one of those fountains also. Sometimes we swim with a cold water hose running in the pool.:p

Guys I live in Bako which has the same weather. My pool gets sun all day long, run the filter and stuff at night. With the weather we have had, my pool is in the low 80's right now.
Also, just FYI, with the temps of the pools the more chlorine they will use. I am going through about 5 gallons a week of 12.5% with light swimming, heavy swimming can be in the 7-8 range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.