SLAM- skimmer and return plastic turned orange

Jul 19, 2014
St. Louis
I've started to SLAM our pool I've currently reached FC 7, and noticed that the plastic skimmer and return port have changed from white to orange. When I rotated the return port and revealed plastic that had not been out in the open, it was white. Does anyone know what is happening and is this permanent?
The pool water itself is a hazy blue/green and a lot of white fluff had appeared on the walls overnight.
Thanks!

It could be metal staining. What is your fill source?

Our fill source is the hose attached to the house. I don't believe it is high in metals, but don't know for sure.
When we began SLAM 2 days ago:
FC 0.2
CC 0.2
pH 7.3
TA = 120
CH = 60
CYA = 34

At 8pm tonight FC 6
Added Chlorine (miscommunicated and added 150oz 8.25% instead of 90)
At 10:15 I checked, and FC was 16.

I read about taking a vitamin C tablet and pushing it against the plastic to see if it is metals. Might try that tomorrow.

So lets clear the pool by SLAM'ing and once we get it clear, we can work on treating the metal staining. :goodjob: You ready to do this? :mrgreen:

What test kit do you have?

Ive been ready to go swimming since June. Just realized it wasnt going to happen taking the pool store's advice.
I have the Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006. So far I have gone through ~7 gallons of Clorox!
Just tested, I think this is a good place to end the night, right?
FC 12.5
pH 7.4
CYA 32

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right, but so far the FC might get to my target SLAM FC temporarily, but always goes down due to who-knows-what is in the pool.
So I wondered if I added more Clorox than the calculator calls for, if the FC drop 8 hours later would be less.

When we bought the house, the pool cover was about 5 inches underwater and it was a bird and squirrel sanctuary/watering hole. I wonder if they added so much whatever that it is using up all of the chlorine. Could they have added all of the metals in the water too?

Well, we've been adding chlorine to our pool for 2 weeks now. I work, so it is usually once in the morning and once or twice in the evening. So far we have added 23 jugs of 8.25% Clorox.
Over the nights, the FC will go from 13 to ~10.5 the next morning.
During the day it will go from 13 (after adding chlorine in the morning) to ~6-7 by 6pm.
Our CYA has held steady at ~34. On the plus side, you can see the bottom of the pool now, and with vacumming it looks better and better.

I was wondering how typical it is to use >20 just of chlorine while SLAMMING. Also, is the FC loss test meant to measure from ie 13-12ppm overnight, or 3-2ppm?
This summer has definitely been a learning experience. I've almost given up on swimming this summer, but would like to get everything down so that I can hit the ground running next year.

If you can see the bottom it's safe to go swimming in the higher chlorine water up to your CYA/SLAM level. You could dive in for a dip if you wanted to.

If I only used 20 jugs I'd be a VERY happy camper but I do have a lot more water to treat. I usually start out with four cases of 4X1gal jugs of 12% to start out with and then a few more trips as the SLAM continues. :(
Photos of owners being creative in keeping track of how much bleach they've used.

Attachments

• Bleach bottles  2.jpg
    Bleach bottles 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Bleach bottles  1.jpg
    Bleach bottles 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 55
  • bleach liquid Pool Shock.jpg
    bleach liquid Pool Shock.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 55
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.