What routine maintenance should I be doing to pump and heater?

May 26, 2014
Windham, NH
New home, first pool ever......

Wondering what I should be doing to keep this equipment in tip top shape? Is there anyone locally who would come by and take a look at what I have? Or recommend a company in this area who wont take advantage of us?

The filter is leaking a tiny bit of water, as the cement pad is soaked after it running for a few hours each day. I also need to put on a new air bleed valve as the knob for releasing air is stripped and falls out if it is not in the exact spot it needs to be.

Post up some pics of your pad and we can see if we can help you. We usually don't recommend companies to those who ask but if we can help, we will be more than glad to offer free advice to you.

The pressure was pegged at 30 psi today. I back washed it but hardly anything came out for dirty water.

It is leaking around d the large ring that holds the top on as well.

I have a bag of stuff to add to it that the old owners left, how do I know how much to add and when?

What psi should I be running at?

What do the levers do?

All the way to the left are 4 pipes that come up to a hat cover, with a switch that says pause and run. What does it do? My gut tells me it's the auto clean system?

Do you have two skimmers or two main drains, but only one of the other.

That powdery "stuff" to add to the filter is called DE. Check the manual of the filter. It can be found online if you don't have a hard copy. The o-ring of the filter needs to be replaced if it is leaking. That can be found online by searching your filter model number, which should be indicated on the filter housing.

It is smart and normal here to trust TFP more than local businesses.

I have 3 covers. 2 are skimmers, and one has a clear plastic lid inside when you take the square cover off where water comes back out of a PVC pipe forcefully against this lid. Not sure what that is called?

How much do I add?

What pressure should this be running at?

Is it good to run the heater once in a while to keep it working? Say 15 or 30 mins a week or something similar?

Wish someone on this forum was local to me that I could have come by, explain/show me what everything is, and I could be done with this. :)

I have know idea about that covered skimmer, but do you have only one drain?

Your filter will differ in DE and PSI than others. I would highly recommend searching your filter model online. :google:

I have no knowledge or experience with heaters. I live in Florida, and my pool can be occasionally swimmed in even during the winter, lol.

Yes, one drain. There are 5 or 6 pop up heads on the floor that come up and down randomly and push debris around toward the drain. Dirt get stuck at the deep end and I have to brush it toward the drain each day. Is this normal?

Maybe someone else more local will chime in on the heater question. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've heard about some floor cleaning system or something you might have. I don't know if it's normal, because that's above my head.

As for the valves, it looks like the one closest to the drain controls the flow between the skimmers and drain, and the other valve control the flow between both of the skimmers. If all the valves are left how they are in the picture (centered), suction should be coming from both skimmers and the drain.

When I vacuum I turn the valve on the right 90* and hook into the skimmer closest to the pump....is that correct?

All the way to the left, there is that black hat with 4 pipes coming into it. On top is pressure gauge and a tiny switch that says run or pause. Any idea what that might be for?

If the wider part of the valve lever has the word "CLOSED" engraved on it, that wider end should be facing to the right (for the valve that is closet to the pump). For the valve that is on the left side, you can put it either or. It will just shut off one of the skimmers. It is best to have one skimmer closed so all of the suction will go to that one skimmer in which you are vacuuming from.

Have you vacuumed yet? I would recommend to play with those valves and test the suction to understand it more.

If you look at 0:07 in this video, you will notice something similar to yours. I have no idea what it is for, and it does not seem to be common. If it is not for the pool, it might be for a sprinkler system. Do you have a sprinkler pump nearby?

That skimmer looking thing with the pipe coming into it might be part of the floor cleaning system. Those four pipes with the hat might also be for that as well.

As far as the valves go, they should perform the same function as I posted previously.

That floor cleaning system is above me, I have no experience or knowledge of those. It does seem interesting, though. Sorry about that, maybe somebody else with more knowledge can come along and help.

the hat thing with the pipes going to it are an infloor cleaning system... the gauge on it is to let you know when it needs to be cleaned out... although im not sure where the cleanout is on yours... best to find a manual for yours to get the details.. the switch on it is probably to turn it off and on... mine just gets turned off and on by a valve to direct my pump to it... those can also help when you have warm water on the top and colder water near the bottom... because it pulls water from the warmer skimmer water and shoots it up through the bottom of the pool... im not sure how well the cleaning system works for leaves.. i was told once that it could clog the main drain if it sucks up too much larger debris like that...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.