Another Newbie with a Baq Conversion-Help!

Jul 31, 2008
~formed new thread ~ Frustrated Pool Mom
:cry: I have a 30,000 gallon (think 30) in-ground pool that has just ruined my families summer. The pool was here when we bought house in March but needed sum work, so bout 5,000.00 later had new liner filter ready to go pool filled etc.., oh now time for 1200.00 worth of baquacil for the summer as promoted by local pool store, yea that was the beginning of my end.
Needless to say all the baquacil so called summer supply is gone already plus bout another 1,000.00 in other chemicals trying to keep the baquacil right cuz every week it turned another shade of green. Ive had 2 different types of mold, many different levels of algea etc etc...all BS in my book! I brush and vacuum this pool EVERY morning have only missed maybe once a week due to work so Im doin what the poole guy tells me and still not working.
Started reading forums bout how to get rid of baquacil so confused but so disguisted at this point. Last week shocked the Crud out of pool made it foam all up and turn different nasty colors...was alredy green so no big deal...to no prevail the chlorine never even registered on the strip test....so back to different pool store for advice he sent me out door with $100.00 bucket of Non-Chlorine granules says add twice a day to get rid of Baquacil...been doing this for 3days and Baquacil Oxidizer level still HIGH. Its funny becuz when I wanted the Baquacil to work IT DIDNT now that I want rid of it, it is fighting me like crazy! ANNNNYYYYY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :hammer:

Start by reading this article in Pool School. It explains the basic conversion process.

You need lots and lots of chlorine to complete the conversion from baquacil to chlorine. If you follow the procedure in that article you can usually get through it in about a week. It won't cost very much, but it will be some work.

Feel free to ask questions and keep us updated on your progress!

I really appreciate the advice and off to read the pool school topic, only ? I have right now is am I wasting my time with this non chlorine shock? Everyone keeps telling me if I add chlorine before I make baquicil go away that I will have to drain the pool etc etc...thanks for help.

rhonda21502 said:
so back to different pool store for advice he sent me out door with $100.00 bucket of Non-Chlorine granules says add twice a day to get rid of Baquacil...been doing this for 3days and Baquacil Oxidizer level still HIGH. Its funny becuz when I wanted the Baquacil to work IT DIDNT now that I want rid of it, it is fighting me like crazy! ANNNNYYYYY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :hammer:
My pool's a lot smaller than yours, but I had a lot of Baquagoo in it too. I had a problem (before I switched) where the algistat level wasn't reading at all on my test strips, so I keep adding more and more of the Baquacil (per the pools stores instructions). That did nothing (other than waste my money), and when they had no other solutions is when I went to google and ended up on this forum. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate the information, help, advise, and encouragement that this forum has provided.

Like Jason said, read the conversion article he linked to. It's 9 super-simple steps to convert your pool. Just repeat steps 4-6 until done. Step 7 tells you when you're done.

I thought I had screwed up my conversion because it seemed to be taking so much longer than most. It just needed the extra time, probably because of my high initial Baquagoo readings. Just keep adding the bleach at night and brushing/vacuuming when you can. I didn't brush that much initially. Once I started to brush regularly is when the conversion really seemed to kick in for me.

rhonda21502 said:
Everyone keeps telling me if I add chlorine before I make baquicil go away that I will have to drain the pool etc etc...thanks for help.
I didn't have that experience.

Keeping my pool at shock level overnight by adding liquid bleach (which is chlorine) is exactly what made my baquacil disappear!!!

I didn't see anything in the pool store nearly as cheap as liquid beach, either. heheh

No you won't have to drain the pool. It just takes ALOT of chlorine to do a conversion. If you read any of the other threads, which have a lot of info and good tips, you'll see they went thru jugs and jugs. It will turn all sorts of funky colors, as you began to see with your own pool. Depending on the amount of Baq in there it can take several days to a few weeks...just depends on how diligent you are. Follow the steps by steps and stock up on bleach, and in the meantime, order a good test kit. I highly recommend the TF-100, sold here, if you can't get that, try the Taylor K-2006.

In the meantime, you want to update your signature to include your pool equipment and specs. That way people responding can easily see your information on each post and you won't have to repeat yourself. :-D Go to User Control Panel, top left of your screen, and then Profil, and then Edit Signature.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Non-chlorine shock can work, but it ends up being much more expensive to go that way so we don't usually recommend it. The main use of non-chlorine shock is for indoor pools. For outdoor pools it is more expensive and less effective than chlorine.

:| Ok I have checked my Ph and working on test kit...went ahead and added liquid chlorine as instructed on chlorinating your pool page...already know I need to raise the Ph and have very lil if any sanitizer in pool right now so figured it would be ok to start chlorinating the heck out of it. Thanx for all the useful tips and directions I desperately needed this ray of hope! I am also posting pics...I think, if I can get them on here. Im sure I will be on here often thru this process! :wave:

Attachments

• 0603081803.jpg
    0603081803.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 0731081250.jpg
    0731081250.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 256
  • 0731081250a.jpg
    0731081250a.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 257
Gesh, I wish I could fit a pool like that in my backyard! Nice! :)

You'll be so amazed and how crystal clear the water is when this is all done. Even when I thought I had my Baquacil pool under control and looking sharp, it's nothing like it is now!

:?: Ok one more thing...do I need to buy something like PH increaser to raise PH? Or does chlorine/shock raise the Ph? I might have already misunderstood something and just wan2 verify. so not wasting money time and steps! I'm brushing, backwashed, adding liquid chlorine etc etc...sanitizer was gone almost completly so hoping that means Baquacil has dimenished or almost gone (I hope). Ph has come up a very lil bit compared to thursday...2day is saturday. Sorry for so many questions but I am pool illeterate, have had above ground pool in past but used chlorine from day 1 in it and had pool store do our chemicals etc every week so now that we have bigger pool doing it all ourselves....Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rhonda21502 said:
:?: Ok one more thing...do I need to buy something like PH increaser to raise PH? Or does chlorine/shock raise the Ph? I might have already misunderstood something and just wan2 verify. so not wasting money time and steps! I'm brushing, backwashed, adding liquid chlorine etc etc...sanitizer was gone almost completly so hoping that means Baquacil has dimenished or almost gone (I hope). Ph has come up a very lil bit compared to thursday...2day is saturday. Sorry for so many questions but I am pool illeterate, have had above ground pool in past but used chlorine from day 1 in it and had pool store do our chemicals etc every week so now that we have bigger pool doing it all ourselves....Thanks!

Borax, Baking Soda, Soda Ash, these things will raise PH cheaper than pool store chems which are basically the same ingredients only fancier labels and higher prices. But you haven't posted any test results, so I am curious. Yes, the high chlorine levels required to convert from BaQ will increase PH, temporarily.

Can you post your latest results so we can make a better recommendation?

I currently have 1.5 on chlorine/3.4 bromine test and 6.8Ph I havent taken water to store to be tested yet so dealing with cheapy kit right now till better one orderd off line can ship to me. Also purchased a dolphin automatic vacuum but it wont be here for a week either so still bustin hump manually. When I started chlorine was 0.6 and Ph wasnt even registering on test kit. Will re check chemical chart to see how much baking soda I need...can that be added while I have so much chlorine going on? Wow based on chart I would need a truck load of baking soda...lol not funny but on a real note based on what I gave you can you advise me on best way to raise Ph and how much so I am doing this right?

If you don't know your TA level it is a little tricky to raise the PH. How much of a chemical you need to use depends on your current TA. The best solution is to go to a pool store and get a complete set of tests. If you can't do that for some reason, you can get around not knowing your TA by adding a small amount of something that raises PH, waiting an hour, test the PH and then repeat until the PH gets to where you want it to be.

Baking soda isn't the ideal thing to use, as it raises TA a lot and only raises PH a little. Borax or washing soda/PH Increaser/soda ash are better choices, since they will raise the PH more and TA only a little.

OK...water tested...2.5 Free Avail chlorine, 5.0 Total Avail Chlorine, 7.3Ph, 100 Total Alkalinity, 180 Calcium Hardness, 40 CYA, 650 Total Dissolved Solids....Baqua Sanitizer is 0...and Baqua Oxidizer barely registering on test...I am told I am ready to use Chlorine products once I kill that algea so gonna put 32oz of Black Algae Killer in this evening than start a heavy shock Monday when sun goes down....if pool clears up I will change sand tuesday morning in filter. If this all sounds right than hopefully I will see the floor of my pool this week sumtime.

rhonda21502 said:
OK...water tested...2.5 Free Avail chlorine, 5.0 Total Avail Chlorine, 7.3Ph, 100 Total Alkalinity, 180 Calcium Hardness, 40 CYA, 650 Total Dissolved Solids....Baqua Sanitizer is 0...and Baqua Oxidizer barely registering on test...I am told I am ready to use Chlorine products once I kill that algea so gonna put 32oz of Black Algae Killer in this evening than start a heavy shock Monday when sun goes down....if pool clears up I will change sand tuesday morning in filter. If this all sounds right than hopefully I will see the floor of my pool this week sumtime.

IMHO you don't have Black Algae and the pool store probably sold you a product you don't need. You need lots of bleach. IF you had Black Algae, chlorine will kill it. You have a vinyl liner and Black Algae is usually found in plaster pools. You need a good test kit and have to meet three criteria to know if your conversion is complete, and then you change the sand, but not before. Read up on the various conversions again, the different threads have a lot of info. I don't think you have black algae at all.

Your numbers are fine. The PH is fine at 7.3, no need to adjust from there. You just need more chlorine.

Avoid the black algae killer. Not only do you not need it, but it most likely contains copper, which can cause problems latter on.

ok without using the algae killer can I use store bought shock/chlorine because I dont know where everyone else is buying chlorine but it's costing me double (for generic bleach not even Clorox) compared to what the shock costs. Ive tryed Lowes, Home Depot and it's cheapest at Wal Mart but still $3.00 a gallon when added up its signifigantly more than what I can get chlorine (actual pool chlorine) for. :?

First, "bleach" is 6% Sodium Hypochlorite. "Pool Chlorine" as you called it, if it is liquid, is also Sodium Hypoclorite. It comes in different strengths, 6%, 10% and 12.5%. But it is all Sodium Hypochlorite. There is lithium hypochlorite (I have not personally seen it). There are granular chlorines, like Calcium-Hypochlorite, that will raise your Calcium, and too high is a problem....there is Di-chlor, which is acidic and lowers PH and raises CYA substantially; and there is Tri-chlor which is acidic and also raises CYA. Bleach doesn't lower your PH and it doesn't raise your CYA. Bleach is perfectly fine for pools and can be considered "actual pool chlorine".

Do you have an Aldi by you? They sell a 96 oz jug of 6% bleach for $.99. :goodjob:

That's about as cheap as it comes, granular chlorine (what you call shock) or not. Shock is something you do, not something you buy, but pool stores don't tell you that. :wink:

What were you buying and what was the cost? What were the ingredients?

When everything is factored in, especially the impact on pools when using various forms of granular chlorine (that may raise CYA and lower PH) bleach/liquid chlorine from the pool store comes out as the most economical form of chlorine. Here is a thread that shows the comparison.

If you can get liquid chlorine from the pool store in 10% or 12.5% strength, on sale or for around $3.00 a jug, that's a good buy, for the strength, in my book. Means less jugs to haul home...

I can get a biggie jug at Wal-mart (174 oz ) of 6% bleach for $2.54. That seems to be the normal rate, across the country, based on posts on this forum. It was $2.28 until a month ago.

I know all this is overwhelming, and your used to other methods, but BBB works. There are thousands of members on this forum that can attest to that. :wink:

:wave: I just want you to know that I woke up this morning and headed straight to the pool to see what it looked like and to think about what the next step would be for how to treat. I have no choice based on looking into my pool to do it EXACTLY how TFP tells me to cuz my pool is CLEAR this morning...all that work yesterday and staying on top of bleach etc worked...I still have sum patchy algae but nothing that cant be brushed and vaccumd Im sure. I havent seen the bottom or sides of my pool in 3weeks prior to finding this site and chemical after chemical jus made it worse...Well I am on my way back to re-read your directions on what I do when water levels are right and pool is clear and see what I do next...THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for having this site and helping pool dummies like me and for also putting up with me even when I was contimplating jumping ship...lol :goodjob:

Wanted to post sum more pics...not great quality cuz sending off cell phone but trust me water is clear throughout pool there is sum algae like I said laying on floor of pool and sum on sides but I can see every inch of my liner and through all my water...I luv you guys lol :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 48hr after starting Baquacrap to Chlorine conversion.jpg
    48hr after starting Baquacrap to Chlorine conversion.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 48hrs after starting bleach.jpg
    48hrs after starting bleach.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 120

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.