Hayward Aquapure voltage and amp Problem

Jul 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
My Hayward SWG looks like it is working because the power light and the generator lights are on but I checked the volts and amps and it is showing 31 volts and 0 amps. The dial is set at 18%. I had turned it down from 55% because the chlorine level was high and now it is coming down. Just not sure if it is working like it should be. The cell is a T15.

I thread line should read Hayward Aqua Rite voltage and amp problem. My bad.

The volts and amps will read as you describe when the unit it cycled off. I would try setting the percentage setting to 100% to make sure it cycles on, give it a minute or two, and then measure volts and amps again to see if that changes the reading.

I am pretty sure both the voltage and amps go to zero when the unit cycles off (at least it does on my unit) but in this case it is only the amps that goes to zero which would indicate that it is an issue at the cell. Perhaps the connection to the plates.

How old is the cell?

I would have it tested at a pool store.

The cell is about five years old. I think I might take it out and clean it to see if that will make a difference. So let me get this straight, I thought the SWG worked kind of like a radio, when you turn the volume up it gets louder but it is working all the time. Is that not correct.

The percentage is a percentage of pump run time. For example, if the pump runs for 10 hours, and the chlorinator is set to 70 percent, then the chlorinator is going to make chlorine for 7 hours of the 10 hour pump run time.

The chlorinator always runs at full power when it's on. Most likely, the system was just in an off mode when you pushed the diagnostic button to scroll through the readings. This is especially likely because you just turned the system percentage down.

The Voltage should read 30 to 31 volts when the AquaRite is in an off mode and the amps should read zero. For the Aqua Plus and Aqua Logic, the voltage reads zero when in an off cycle.

Try this:

Move the switch to off
wait 5 minutes
Move the switch to auto
wait 1 minute
scroll through the diagnostic readings and report what they are.

Thanks guys, I checked amps and it was 0 then I set the chlorinator to 100% and immediately the amps went to 5.6. I do have a question though, if the chlorinator works based on a percentage of pump time then it must have some kind of built in timer to tell it when to turn on and off???? Lets' say that I run my pump 24/7 and I have the chlorinator set at 50% does it cycle on and off every thirty minutes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.