Pump down, water out of whack!

May 16, 2014
Sunny California
So I have been following the TFP all summer and my pool has looked and tested great. Then about a week and half ago, my cord to my pump fried and we couldn’t run the pump until it was replaced. I kind of just left it. By the way, all summer even though I run my SWG I still have to add bleach often. The SWG doesnt seem to ever maintain FC levels on its own. Can I SLAM looking at the nonSWG chart? Since I am probably low on salt and CYA? (CYA was at 70 earlier in summer but we had a leak and lost a lot of water). Can I keep my CYA at 30 if I turn off my SWG or should I keep running the SWG and just supplement with bleach as needed?

I tested the water yesterday and the results are
FC 0.2
CC 0.6
TA 100
PH 8
CYA 30 or below

I know I need to SLAM, I have the bleach stocked up. I also know I should tackle the PH first, but any other advice? Can I lower PH, start slamming, and add the CYA stuff later just so I can begin?

Your CYA is actually good where it is for a slam so don't raise it til the slam is complete. Yep, drop your pH and you should be good to go. That high pH is likely a result of your somewhat high TA. But I wouldn't worry about TA for now either. Lower pH and start your slam. Just noticed your numbers .2 and .6. Are these results from a pool store test? If so, you need a proper test kit to start. TF-100 is most highly recommended here.

No I have the Taylor kit. Thanks, I just added the acid and will start SLAM soon? like 30 minutes?
Your CYA is actually good where it is for a slam so don't raise it til the slam is complete. Yep, drop your pH and you should be good to go. That high pH is likely a result of your somewhat high TA. But I wouldn't worry about TA for now either. Lower pH and start your slam. Just noticed your numbers .2 and .6. Are these results from a pool store test? If so, you need a proper test kit to start. TF-100 is most highly recommended here.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question, the last time I SLAM (the beg of summer) my CYA was so high my shock goal was like 23! But now looking at the chart I think I only need to SLAM to 10? I know I need to maintain that number until I pass all the tests, but is this correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.