Pulling up concrete deck

I just went through this on our renno. I bought a 70lb jack hammer and a 12" concrete saw. Nine days later, we had it all out. My advise is to be careful when cutting near the bond beam. We did it with the water in the pool and had to scoop some concrete and pebbles out of the pool, but it was no big deal. After taking all that care, we realized that the pool was in worse shape than we thought. We are now in the middle of extensive repairs, new skimmer, light, waterline tile and plaster. (all DIY but the chip out and plaster.)

Don't you already have a related thread on your pool?

The tough part about this is getting rid of the concrete. It often makes more sense just to pay to have it removed just because they have to get rid of the waste.

You want to make sure you don't damage the electrical, suction and return lines. They are never where they are supposed to be. You also want to protect the top of the walls and the pool floor.

You don't have to drain the pool, the sides should be held up by supports burried in concrete at the base of the walls. If your pool was built correctly and the walls are not rusted out then you should be able to leve it without decking for a while. That said, generally you want deck to surround a vinal liner pool so the soil next to the pol does not expand and deform the walls.

Finally, when you replace the deck you want to be sure the pool and deck are properly bonded.

I managed to get one corner out. I found concrete sonotubes that we're attached to the concrete deck. When I was smashing the concrete deck I saw the concrete pillar move up and down.

The back fill is sand and not gravel. I have 1 piece of 1/4" rebar on the outer edge of the concrete.

I still don't understand why the deck is sinking.

I will be getting a contractor to remove the rest of the concrete. Should I remove the sand and see if they put a concrete neck/skirt to hold the steal walls in place? I read the I should replace sand with 3/4 gravel.

In another thread you talk about swampy soil. Any type of soil full of water is going to cause problems to a deck even with a couple of feet of sand or rock. You need to get rid of the water.

You might have a couple of local concrete contractors over to look at it come up with some solutions and some bids. That way you will get a local onsite opinion on what is happening.

Don't you already have a related thread on your pool?

The tough part about this is getting rid of the concrete. It often makes more sense just to pay to have it removed just because they have to get rid of the waste.

You want to make sure you don't damage the electrical, suction and return lines. They are never where they are supposed to be. You also want to protect the top of the walls and the pool floor.

You don't have to drain the pool, the sides should be held up by supports burried in concrete at the base of the walls. If your pool was built correctly and the walls are not rusted out then you should be able to leve it without decking for a while. That said, generally you want deck to surround a vinal liner pool so the soil next to the pol does not expand and deform the walls.

Finally, when you replace the deck you want to be sure the pool and deck are properly bonded.

What do you mean bonded?
I'm also not sure where my bond beam is.
Are you guys talking about the where the concrete attaches to the coping.?

I think I'll be replacing the coping all around depending on price. It will probably be something for interlocking stone.

- - - Updated - - -

In another thread you talk about swampy soil. Any type of soil full of water is going to cause problems to a deck even with a couple of feet of sand or rock. You need to get rid of the water.

You might have a couple of local concrete contractors over to look at it come up with some solutions and some bids. That way you will get a local onsite opinion on what is happening.

Everybody I talk to in my city says it was a swamp before. How can I verify it was? Dig a hole beside the pool and see if I hit water?

It doesn't look bad to me from the picture? power wash and reseal? I'm getting quotes to do that for stamped concrete. My deck also floats from the main pool. Meaning it's not connected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.