Intex Ultra Frame Inquiry

Jul 24, 2014
Fayetteville, NC
Hello all. Just joined the forum to get some expertise ;) I am looking at buying the Intex 18' x 9' x 52" Ultra Frame pool from Wal-Mart. They currently have a package for $599 that includes a 1200gph Krystal Clear sand filter pump. I would also buy the Krystal Clear saltwater 15k gallon system to go with it. I've been doing research for several days now and I have a few questions.

- How good is this filter pump? Should I go ahead and order a stronger one like this? Intex Filter Pump | 16" Sand Filter | 2650 GPH Pump | 56671 Or just give the stock one a try?
- I have two siberian huskies that must have been seals in a previous life, so they WILL be in the pool alot. How tough is the material this pool is made out of? Is it dog friendly? :)
- As I won't have it near my deck at first, has anyone found a good set of stairs for entry/exit that will work with this pool? I've seen posts about the Confer Plastics but nothing definitive.
- In your opinion, is this a decent pool? I plan on putting alot of prep work into the ground area for the pool, so just want to know if you guys think it's a worthy investment ;)

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Gee, there are plenty of Intex pool owners on the forum here. Hopefully, someone gets you some information. I guess by my just chiming in and welcoming you here, I am giving you a bump to the top of the forum. Good luck, and remember, you are going to want one of the approved test kits. As soon as you pull the plug on the pool, I would get one of those baby's on order. Don't wait until you have a water quality issues before you get the test kit or you will loose 2 weeks of swimming while you wait for it.

Test Kits Compared can be had at http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html, run by the site sponsor.

Welcome!

Yes, there are quite a few Intex owners here.

If you do get the 18x9x52, the 2650 gph pump will do you better than the stock pump. After your first season with your pool, you will probably not be satisfied with the stock skimmer. Most of us have installed a through the wall skimmer, with the Hayward SP1091LX being the favorite.

Definitely order one of the recommended test kits, it will save you LOTS of frustration and with regular (daily) use, will help you keep your pool water sparkling and safe.

Good to see that you are wanting to do extensive prep work before setting up the pool. You will need your pool area absolutely level. If you think it's level, check it again. This alone will save you lots of aggravation during set-up and filling.

I have dogs that love to swim, and so far (4 swim seasons) they haven't been able to damage the liner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2osaCD2yYVw

May I also suggest a little reading assignment?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

And

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

These will give you some of the basics of the best way to keep your pool clear and safe, without emptying your wallet.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

If you like, I could move this to the Above Ground Pool forum so you will get a lot more views. I think it would be better there anyways. If you can upgrade to a better filter and pump, I would do so. I would also look into adding a skimmer box since you have 2 Siberian Huskies who will no doubt leave baby Siberian Huskies in the pool. You will need to sweep it weekly.

Do yourself a favor and do not skimp on leveling the ground. Rent a transit or make a water level and use it. You can youtube the water level. :goodjob: The foundation is the most important part of putting a pool up. Anything over 1.5 inches out of level can be hazardous to anyone in or around the pool, including property damage. As for the pavers under the legs, you will need the heavy duty ones that are at least 2 inches thick as the pool legs will snap the 1 inch pavers like twigs.

Post pics of your build along the way! As mentioned earlier, if you want the thread moved, throw me a Private Message and we'll do. :goodjob:

That was quite a few questions So as an Intex owner I will do my best to answer them.
A. I would definitely upgrade from the cartridge filter that is going to come with it. I ran cartridges for 2 years and hated having to clean them almost every day.
B. My son has a large pit bull type dog. probably 90lbs. I have an undocumented fear of him getting in the pool and tearing the sides as he struggles to get out. Granted this is just a fear. He has never been in the water, So it could be totally unfounded.
C. It really would not be that difficult to build a 4x4 swim platform with nice steps going up to the pool and use 1/2 of the included ladder to get into the pool. that would leave 2 feet to build a hinged floating ramp for the dogs to use. My son and I built a swim platform in an afternoon.
D. For the money it depends on your definition of decent. I have a regular Intex (18' round, not the ultra frame) and it has lasted 3 years. I am sure I "could" use it again next year but it was not prepped carefully. The ground could have been leveled a little bit better and we did not put pavers down under the posts. One of the posts has settled about 2-1/2 inches. We have left water in it every winter, which is why I think it has lasted so long. I spent less then $200 on this pool and this year I upgraded to a $325 pump and sand filter. So when we buy a new pool this fall (gonna look for a clearance deal) I have all the plumbing and pumps for it.
Overall in hindsight if money was no object I would have bought the best and paid someone else to perfectly install it. But I really feel I got more than my moneys worth out of this pool.
However the most important part of pool ownership is how you take care of it. Study Pool School and get a really good test kit. I have the TF-100 and a speedstir. This forum has been like a godsend. The first 2 years of this pool I did the pucks and potions from the pool store and my pool always either smelled of chlorine or I had to shock it constantly. I even had 5-6 green monsters. This year with TFP and bleach I have had a beautiful pool!
Good Luck with your decision

Good info guys :) Ok, so I will definitely be ordering the TF-100 test kit with a speedstir and the salt tester option. I will also more than likely be buying the better pump with 2650gph. That was also a good tip about the waterlevel. I have never heard of that but there are several good youtube videos on how to build/use them, so I'll be doing that. I plan on getting started this weekend by using 4x4s to build out a 21' x 12' frame and filling it with sand and packing it tight. Oh, thanks for the tip about the 2" pavers. I'll use those. I'm a total pool noob so this should be fun :) I will take pictures documenting the build, hehe.

Just a note on the pump/filter. My neighbor just purchased the exact setup you mentioned. The included sand filter cleans wonderfully, but needs much more frequent backwashings than the larger filter. for example, in the past 3 weeks and a bit, they have backwashed 3 times. I have a larger pool, but I have the 16 inch sand filter, and I have not backwashed at all. I know this because they have my backwash hose!! :) So the smaller filter cleans nicely, but needs frequent backwashings. This means more water loss and replacement, necessitating more frequent adjustment of your chemical levels (for example, CYA). Not that the smaller filter won't work, it's just a little less convenient.

Oh ok, thanks for the information :) Good to see someone is having success with that setup. I think since I'm new at this, I should probably get the larger pump/filter to make it slightly easier on me as I learn how to take care of the pool water. Quick question though, how much water is lost in a typical backwash and how do you tell when you need to do so?

There is a pressure gauge on the filter/pump. When you first set up your system and turn the pump on, take a reading from the gauge. This is your clean reading, or clean pressure reading. When that pressure increases by 20-25%, it's time to backwash. For example, if your clean reading is 10 psi, you would backwash when it gets to 12 or 13 psi. You backwash until there is clean water coming out, and this usually takes a couple of minutes. Then you rinse, which also pumps out water as well. You could lose a couple hundred gallons or more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I read through the thread. Very informative. Wow, the plumbing came out real nice. I'll start taking pictures this weekend. Also, do you guys think it is a good idea to build a frame out of 4x4s to fill and level, or should I just try to get the ground level and go with it? I have experience with making frames out of 4x4s, which is why I jump to doing the same with the pool area.

You can use 4x4's to build a frame, but the fill material needs to be compacted very well. Only use sand as a padding/finish layer, not for leveling. You will need to use decomposed granite compacted in 3" lifts or some other good stable base that compacts well and makes a solid, firm foundation for your pool. Be sure to place thick patio blocks or pressure treated wood flush with the ground under the legs to help spread out the downward forces and prevent the legs from sinking into the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.