Water Balance Question

jwp

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2014
Ormond Beach, FL
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but have already read quite a bit. I have a question regarding the "Water Balancefor SWG's" article.

It gives a summary of water goals as such:
FC 3-5 ppm
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 250-350
CYA 70-80
Salt 200-400 ppm Above recommended optimum level

My question is, does this change any for me since my pool is indoor?

To give a little more info than my signature, I have eight good sized skylight windows in the roof. I don't now if that matters, but I thought I'd share it.

Thank you and thanks for such a great website.

Interesting...one thing that jumps out is the CYA. It usually isn't needed for an indoor pool, but with the large skylights you might need a little. It depends on whether or not the material in the skylight blocks UV rays or not. Does the SWG manufacturer give any recommended settings specifically for indoor pools?

Welcome to TFP!

For an indoor pool we recommend that CYA be around 20 to 30 (SWG or not). Otherwise all of the recommended levels remain the same.

The glass in skylights usually block UV, so it really isn't the same as being outdoors.

Thank you very much. This is very helpful as we were instructed from the pool store to raise our CYA and this is what we are testing currently...

FC ... 2.3
PH ... 7.5
TA ... 81
CH ... 70
CYA ... 30
Salt ... 2500

I'm having a visibility issue currently. You can see the drain, but it is milky, hazy. I will, however, start a different thread with regards to the clarity issue as instructed by the forum guidelines.

Okay, I will keep my story here.

As soon as my test kit gets here I will post my water results.

Hopefully, one of you experts can help me through the process as I am new to all of this but I am very excited about starting this great process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree. Of course, I did not know that truth until I found this site.

However, my trip to the pool store last week (before I joined the site) had me add 4lbs of Calcium Chloride to raise the CH.

They also had me raise my CYA :(

So, now knowing that my CYA was at maximum I'm going to have to SLAM at a higher level of FC :(

I'm really looking forward to having a TFP.

Should I wait until after I SLAM to correct CH or should I get the CH correct before I SLAM?

Last edited:
I did not know that truth until I found this site.
:goodpost:

It is actually very simple when you think about it, the pool store exists to sell you things. Every time you go in they are attempting to do that. If you don't have a problem, they will make one up. I know all of them are not bad, but between the dishonest ones and the ones that employ untrained staff to give advice you are more apt to walk into a bad one than a good one.

The folks here at TFP are here helping for free because they want folks to have a great pool experience. If one of use has a bad moment and gives incorrect advice we (I know I have), it will quickly be corrected by another member.

Let me say welcome to TFP

We just started the SLAM process.

We tested the water and here are results with regards to the SLAM:

FC = 5
CYA = 50
PH = 7.5

So, we added 263oz. of 10.5% bleach to take the FC to 19.8 and will retest FC in a couple of hours.

I will continue to post results.

Questions:

1) Do we need to test CYA as frequently as FC? I hope not as the solution will go fast.
2) How do I shut my SWG off as that was recommended above for the SLAM process?

Thanks.

Did you test and adjust the pH before raising the FC level?
You should not need to test the CYA any more for awhile.
You should test just the FC and CC while you are SLAMing.

I would assume you should be able to turn the output of the SWG down to 0. You can leave it on if you like, but you have to remember to turn it off for the OCLT and you get a better feel for the progress with it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.