Heater Question

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
I have a 24' round AGP. I estimate that a 100k btu gas heater will work fine actually down to a 65k. I live in North Eastern Ohio and look to extend the pool season a bit. I like my pool on the cooler side 77 - 80 degrees works for me. What should I expect cost wise operationally? I know there are a lot of factors and I think it would be more of an intermittent usage rather than a constant temp. trying to weigh things out a bit for next year.

I don't have an estimate for you, other than to say I have a 100,000 BTU Hayward NG heater for our 6,700-gallon pool, and my first gas bill with it running was about $40 more than the same bill a year ago. Some of that was due to a heavy work load of bringing it up to about 85 degrees, which is the bare minimum my wife will get in the pool ;-) I expect smaller bills due to just maintenance-level use and the addition of a separate solar-heat system.

As a side note, about two weeks after I installed the heater, I got a visit from a tech at the gas company. Apparently my steep increase in summer gas usage flagged our account to check for a leak! No, I said, just the new pool heater :)

I don't have an estimate for you, other than to say I have a 100,000 BTU Hayward NG heater for our 6,700-gallon pool, and my first gas bill with it running was about $40 more than the same bill a year ago. Some of that was due to a heavy work load of bringing it up to about 85 degrees, which is the bare minimum my wife will get in the pool ;-) I expect smaller bills due to just maintenance-level use and the addition of a separate solar-heat system.

As a side note, about two weeks after I installed the heater, I got a visit from a tech at the gas company. Apparently my steep increase in summer gas usage flagged our account to check for a leak! No, I said, just the new pool heater :)

Thanks CeeElGee! thats what I am after. I am really just wanting to know if I am looking at $80 a month or $500 a month. $80 I could stomach pretty well... especially with the use of a solar cover as well. I only get a good 6 - hours of direct sun per day and even with a regular summer I think our pool will be more on the cool side. I just want to maintain a good 76 - 78 degrees.

Thanks CeeElGee! thats what I am after. I am really just wanting to know if I am looking at $80 a month or $500 a month. $80 I could stomach pretty well... especially with the use of a solar cover as well. I only get a good 6 - hours of direct sun per day and even with a regular summer I think our pool will be more on the cool side. I just want to maintain a good 76 - 78 degrees.

Remember, everyone's cost for gas is different.

Hi mrramsey, We have a heater for the pool. Have not had to use the heater that much(we like 86 degrees for the water temp). We keep the solar cover on all the time till we swim.Pools stays at a consistent temp.Just got a new budget increase for this year for an additional $40 dollars a month. Also have a furnace in the garage. Was a cold winter and Hubby had projects going on in the mancave(garage). Hope this helps.

Hi mrramsey, We have a heater for the pool. Have not had to use the heater that much(we like 86 degrees for the water temp). We keep the solar cover on all the time till we swim.Pools stays at a consistent temp.Just got a new budget increase for this year for an additional $40 dollars a month. Also have a furnace in the garage. Was a cold winter and Hubby had projects going on in the mancave(garage). Hope this helps.
Yes thanks. Its good to get input from someone right around the corner. I think we are going to see how the rest of this season goes and how it it next season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.