(Updated) Pentair Multi-port Valve Leaking from seam (with pics)

pisymbol

Gold Supporter
Jul 11, 2014
NJ
Hello Everyone, first post, first time pool owner.

I inherited a very nice pool with a Taglus Sand filter that has a Pentair Multiport Valve on top of it.

It is leaking from the seam on one side. Here are some pics.

The local pool guy came over and replaced the whole top assembly because he did not think it was the spider/diverter gasket. He was right, with the new assembly (in the pics), it STILL leaks. You can even notice that he put sealant on it which I let sit for 24 hours before turning it on again.

What's strange is that the leak gets less and less as the pump runs until at some point, it doesn't leak at all (sorta, I haven't really done a thorough investigation, but by the time I came home, it wasn't dripping).

I don't see any cracks when it was off, he suggested that maybe the bottom is slightly warped but there is no evidence of this.

Any one EVER seen this before? Help!

Any chance that pipe under the leak is not aligned right and is putting some force on the lower part of of the valve body causing it to leak?

I think the suggestion is to loosen up this collar so the pipe comes loose and see if it's lined up properly of if it's bending down on the multiports housing because of it's fit or angel coming to the housing.

Attachments

• 20140725_084810.jpg
    20140725_084810.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 94
There should be an O-ring or gasket between the two parts. The valve has a label, which should make it easy to look up a parts list. I would recommend replacing the gasket.

O-ring is brand new.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the suggestion is to loosen up this collar so the pipe comes loose and see if it's lined up properly of if it's bending down on the multiports housing because of it's fit or angel coming to the housing.

OK. Let me check that. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

I am at a loss and the local pool guys don't seem to want to diagnose it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would try a new O-ring. The fact that the service person used all that sealant makes me think that maybe they didn't have a new O-ring. Or, maybe they didn't have the right O-ring. Perhaps the O-ring wasn't installed properly.

You would need to clean off all of the sealant to get a good seal.

It's not that it has to be that pipe but it's what makes the most sense for it leaking right above it and especially after having just replaced the old one that leaked in that very spot with a new top (and O ring).

The part that doesn't make sense to me and keeps bouncing around in my head is why it would stop leaking after running the pump for 50-70 minutes :confused:

It's not that it has to be that pipe but it's what makes the most sense for it leaking right above it and especially after having just replaced the old one that leaked in that very spot with a new top (and O ring).

The part that doesn't make sense to me and keeps bouncing around in my head is why it would stop leaking after running the pump for 50-70 minutes :confused:

Alright, it's not the O-ring since two different ones yielded the same results. (so two defective O-rings in the same box?) Interestingly enough, the Pentair top assembly which they replaced came with two O-rings but they only used one. (I assume the other one is a spare).

About it stopping after an hour. Well it may not stop 100% but it becomes such a slow drip it seems harmless.

Of course, after all of this, now I see that the other side is also leaking from the PVC itself (again a VERY slow drip from the back of the collar).

Let me ask you all this, how hard is it to replace this unit and some of the PVC?

I'm gonna try again, but those collars don't look like they move (or they are glued on).

Need to post the numbers off the valve/filter so we can pop up a parts diagram. Most of those valves screw into the top of the filter and seal with an O ring. If you wanted to replace it you'd detach the lines to it and just cut/saw the PVC someplace convenient and then replace the valve and whatever PVC and fittings you need to with new. Adding a union is more expensive then just using a coupler but it's the right way to do it and does make service on the system easier down the road. Your lines should detach at the valve so just cutting out the leaking PVC and using a coupler would make sense since the connection at the valve is removable.
A parts diagram would also show for sure that those rings are threaded onto the mutiport valve. They might just be really tight.

Attachments

• PVC fittings.jpg
    PVC fittings.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 74
What are you using to loosen the union? You would need a large pipe wrench or slip joint pliers that opens to the full outer size of the collar. If you're trying to loosen by hand, that won't do it - especially if someone over tightened it or added some RTV to the joint. Also best practice is to have a wrench/pliers on the short section of the union that enters the multipurpose valve, to provide a counter force to your loosening force. Hard to tell from your photo if there's enough room there to grip anything.

Need to post the numbers off the valve/filter so we can pop up a parts diagram. Most of those valves screw into the top of the filter and seal with an O ring. If you wanted to replace it you'd detach the lines to it and just cut/saw the PVC someplace convenient and then replace the valve and whatever PVC and fittings you need to with new. Adding a union is more expensive then just using a coupler but it's the right way to do it and does make service on the system easier down the road. Your lines should detach at the valve so just cutting out the leaking PVC and using a coupler would make sense since the connection at the valve is removable.
A parts diagram would also show for sure that those rings are threaded onto the mutiport valve. They might just be really tight.

Pentair pool valve assembly 262506

Not a problem. We all get a bit busy and at times aren't "here". Same if you don't get a quick response from us.

You multiport is not screwed on, it's clamped on with a band. It does use an O ring for sealing and those lines to the valve do screw on.

Attachments

• 001_19497_600x600.jpg
    001_19497_600x600.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Pentair 262506-1.jpg
    Pentair 262506-1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 59
Not a problem. We all get a bit busy and at times aren't "here". Same if you don't get a quick response from us.

You multiport is not screwed on, it's clamped on with a band. It does use an O ring for sealing and those lines to the valve do screw on.

Sorry I know they screw on, what I'm saying is it looks like someone put sealant on the grooves. I am hoping tonight to look at it some more.

Thanks for the pics, they are helpful to say the least!

Like I said, at least the O ring between the two assemblies has been replaced now twice (it's brandy new, well about a week old).

What's the chance they used the wrong o-ring meant to seal the entire valve assembly to the top of the filter housing instead of the correct o-ring meant for the handle top assembly. Looking at the two o-rings online at poolpartsonline.com, where they show the orings overlaid on top of rulers, they're both roughly 6" in diameter, but the bottom o-ring appears to be made from a much smaller cross section material. If that bottom o-ring was used to mount the top section it would most certainly leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.