pool pump motor

Jul 28, 2008
I have a hayward 3/4 hp pump motor that i need to replace the bearings,,,but having problems getting the motor out of the housing. I have removed all the long screws and the motor turns within the housing,,but it will not come out,,,any help out there,,,thanks

Welcome to TFP!!

You need to remove the 7 (?) bolts that hold the 2 parts of the pump housing together and then remove the impeller to get the motor off (I'm making the assumption here that you have the Power Flo, or similar) You will want to replace the shaft seal assembly (SP 1500 KA) after repairing the motor!! - the seals don't like being removed and replaced :!: *also make note of how the seal is oriented when you remove the old one and install the new seal assembly the same way the old one was!! - if you put any part of it in backwards, you'll soon have a leak and re-replace it :x

I wish you well with the bearings! If you need some help with getting the rest of the pump back together - you can get that info here! Again, welcome here :-D

One more tidbit, the plastic impeller is most likely threaded and spins off counter clockwise. At least that's how my Hayward 1.5hp was. The motor is made by the same company (AO Smith) that makes the Powerflo motor. My old motor started popping the breaker so now I have a Powerflo and was happy to see the same maker on the label. The old motor lasted a long time. Good luck.

The 4 screws that run the length of the housing only hold the back of the pump housing to the motor -- the other bolt's I was speaking of allow you to break the volute and pump basket parts apart so you can gain access to the impeller (the impeller is screwed onto the motor shaft and therefore you can't remove the motor without removing the impeller)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.