Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Hi, everyone, (It's pet peeve time)

I suggest a contest wherein each newbie who refers to "shock" as a noun be required to send SeanB 50 cents. (failure to read "Pool School" :-D )

Should some of you regulars likewise refer to "shock" as a noun then you should send SeanB $1000.00 (failure to be smart :shock: )

(Sean and I have already agreed to a 50/50 split on the revenue but I fail to see how that affects the pure intentions of my post) :shock:

Yes, you cannot put "shock" in your pool......you simply "shock" your pool.

Please send SeanB $1000.00 (Sean, send my 500 to the address I specified.....looks like we're on our way!!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think they should *shock* their pool and not with their electrical hook ups unless they like the tingly feeling and all. :mrgreen:

It's lookin kinda greeeeeeeeeeen!

You guys are toooooo funny! :lol:

I hope you all see where Dave is going with this... using the wrong terminology (or repeating clever marketing names) only adds to the confusion. When we advice someone to "shock" their pool, they need to understand we are not telling them to go buy a bag of "shock."

This pool school article explains what is meant when we use the term "shock."
category/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Technically you can't put bleach in your pool either - it's also a verb. People tell me not to use bleach in my pool :blah: I tell them I don't bleach

my pool, I use 6% sodium hypochlorite from the grocery store as a sanitizer. :goodjob:

skinman said:
Technically you can't put bleach in your pool either - it's also a verb. People tell me not to use bleach in my pool :blah: I tell them I don't bleach

my pool, I use 6% sodium hypochlorite from the grocery store as a sanitizer. :goodjob:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bleach
Definitions 4-6 are nouns!

And from the Amierican Heritage dictionary:
n.

1. A chemical agent used for bleaching.
1. The act of bleaching.
2. The degree of bleaching obtained.

Sorry, SPP,

You have already revealed how well you compose English. I'll not let you off the hook!

In fact, I'd say you fit in the "regular" category, so your offense would be $1,000.00

SeanB is eagerly awaiting your first transgression! :lol: :lol:

I think your always going to have some confusion. Especially for the person who is reading this site for the first time.

I think alot of confusion could be avoided by asking someone to bring their chlorine to "shock levels".

Shock should really be a description of a process. You need to bring your chlorine up...but you also need to maintain this level until your fight is over. To shock shouldn't be referred to as a single event, even though it can be.

What in the shock are we talking about again? Who do I owe money?

dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.