Question on FC

Jul 16, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Split from here. Do not hijack someone else's thread. It is confusing and rude. Casey~

My CYA is at 50ppm
Chlorine is 5
pH is 7.5

two questions...

What is free chlorine. I read the def and I need clarification. Teach me like your talking to a 5 year old. Chlorine is Bleach? Free chlorine is Chlorine or Bleach?

Next, When how do you know when to add stabilizer?
We are currently triple digits temps 114° today...

Precautions? Any thing I should be doing that is different with the HOT weather?

And please, keep it simple. You knowledge lab chemists are wonderful, but some of this I just don't get yet. But I will and then one day I will spread joy and pool care knowledge.

Thank you all. You guys rock.
D

Re: chlorine/CYA question

FC is the chlorine that is available to fight the bad stuff ... some of it is held in reserve by the CYA
CC (combined chlorine) is the byproduct after the FC has fought the bad stuff (ideally this is 0).

Chlorine is the active ingredient in bleach.

You should test your CYA every month or so and add it if it drops. If you feel that your FC loss is too high every day, like >4ppm, then you could raise the CYA a little higher.

Maintenance is the same regardless of heat/sun ... just maintain adequate FC. You will need more added everyday the hotter and more intense the sun gets.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That's the foundation for everything we teach.

I did and like I said, I am a bit challenged. It would be like me explaining "Magna Traction" on a Lib Tech Banana Snowboard and the benefits of the seven contact points on the edges, and how this helps wit controlled turns.

This board is without "Magna Traction." :shock:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 5.19.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 5.19.52 PM.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 41

There is a big difference. I don't own a snowboard, you do own a pool.

We have had people with no clue about pools become experts through the Pool School (frustratedpoolmom is a great example), if they can figure it out you can as well. So what part are you not grasping that we can help with?

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

There is a big difference. I don't own a snowboard, you do own a pool.

We have had people with no clue about pools become experts through the Pool School (frustratedpoolmom is a great example), if they can figure it out you can as well. So what part are you not grasping that we can help with?

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

@ Donald - wow that was humor.
I notice a lot of you guys are very serious.
It is 114 degrees today here and I carry a very fun attitude and I can learn.
I will learn who not to try and keep it lite with.
@ jb { let me fix these initials for you, sincerely, jblizzle} if that is the simplifiied version, I shall try and keep learning. Appreciate the info.

To the others, {edited by Casey} this is a tad over whelming. I have read a great deal of the data supplied and the data that you point my direction. Like I said I don't mean disrespect, quite the opposite.

Also, some might want to take a light approach. It is a lot. And frankly, I me, and not Frustrated MOm, and to make a ASSUMPTION like that?! Well we know the saying.

Thanks again in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't even know what assumption you think I'm making. I am trying to explain that someone who had no idea what was going on with her pool figured it out and now runs her own pool pool care company. So if the assumption I made was that you are also capable of figuring this out, I apologize and won't make that mistake again.

Good luck with your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.