Baquacil conversion, very high tc and cc

Jul 24, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
I have a 41x24 L shaped, 29,000 gal, heated, vinyl liner pool (installed 3 months ago). Of course the pool installer/store recommended baquacil. I have lots of trees around too. In 3 months time I have unsuccessfully struggled with algae and spent over 1200.00 in baquacil. Originally the pool installer told me that my pool would cost 30% more for chlorine than baquacil. After all of my baquacil frustrations I came across this website and forum. I told the pool store I was switching to chlorine and was going to call a professional to do it ( I'm a very inexperienced 1st time pool owner). She told me it was easy to do and sold me 200.00 for a 50 lb bucket of chlorine tabs and 200.00 worth of shock, some non chlorine but mostly chlorine.
I did exactly as she said, my oxidizer was 8 and sanitizer was 42 on day 1 of conversion, I put 4lbs of non chlorinated shock in the skimmers on the eve of 7/20. Water was cloudy that evening and next morning. Morning of 7/21 FAC was .09. TC was .52 CC .43 ph7.3 TA 91 CH 152 CYA 10, she told me to put 4lbs total, of chlorinated turbo shock in... Water turned nasty green brown. I didn't get a reading from the pool store on the 7/22 but at 6:30 am test kit strips said TA 80 PH 7.8 FAC 0 CH 200 CYA 0. She told me to put 6lbs of chlorinated turbo shock in and 8 one inch chlorine tabs in skimmer that evening. Next day at lunch my pool store reading was FAC 3.92, TC 7.3, CC 3.38, PH 7.3 TA 80. CH 181, CYA 40. She told me to take tabs out of skimmer and put 8 bags of turbo shock in that night, water looked much better than it had been looking. 7/24, today at lunch time, my pool store reading was FAC 11.02, TC 14.71, CC 3.69, PH 7.3, TA 84, CH 194, CYA 41. My water is sparkling clear today, in fact it has never looked better but my hand was very irritated with a chemical type burn after putting my vac hose in the skimmer. By the way I have been brushing the sides and vacuuming to waste daily and back washing. Today I used a filter cleaner in the sand filter. She told me to put 3 more bags of turbo shock in today.
All of the baquacil is gone I believe but how long will it take to get the chlorine right for swimming? Is. There something I am doing wrong or should be doing differently?

Welcome to TFP!

You are certainly on the right track, but there are some challenges. If you keep using the products the pool store sold you your CYA level is rapidly going to get way too high. Your CYA already went up from zero to 40, and 50 is the highest we recommend allowing CYA to get.

The CC reading means that not all of the baquacil is gone, though the level is low enough that you are down to some stubborn residual traces.

We have a very through article on converting a baqua pool to chlorine. I recommend you read that over.

I also recommend that you get your own test kit, and stop depending on the pool store. We recommend either the TF100 or K-2006.

From your description, you are roughly 2/3rds of the way through the conversion process. The next step is to maintain FC around 15 until CC is below 1 two days in a row.

Get the TF100 at TFtestkits.net! You need it and won't regret it!

Welcome!

p.s. Switch to bleach. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.