New pool, first test results with TF 100

May 26, 2014
Windham, NH
Like a kid on Christmas I ran out as soon as the ups guy came!

FC 5.5
CC none
CH 225
TA 30
CYA 70

How bad of shape am I in?

I am attaching a photo of the chemicals that were left here, should I grab more/different?

What do I need to do to improve the feel of my water?
DropBox

Your FC to CYA ratio is good. Just don't let FC drop below 5 ppm for that CYA. When dosing FC, I would target 8 ppm to give you some headroom for chlorine loss due to sunlight (which is normal).

One key parameter that is missing is pH. Did you just forget to post that or do you not have that parameter available?

As for your chems...

• I would discontinue using the tabs. Regular use of the tabs will increase your CYA which is approaching the upper-bound of what is practical for maintaining a swimming pool. You can, however, hang onto them for temporary use when you will be out of town for more than a weekend.
  • Alkalinity Rise: Likely repackaged baking soda. Check the label - if it is 95-100% sodium bicarbonate, hang onto it. You can probably use it to increase TA (which your test results indicate is low).
  • Balance Pak: Not sure what that is. I can tell you that I've never used it. Place that one in the toss pile.
  • Algaecide: Cannot see the label. We only recommend algaecides for specific situations and the only one we recommend is Polyquat 60. Look for 60% of this active ingredient: Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio)ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]. If you do not see this ingredient on the label, toss it.

Bostonbull said:
The pH test only goes down to 6.8, and it was a bit lighter yellow then that.
If that's the case, I would definitely increase that into the mid-7's by using washing soda or soda ash...quickly. Note that washing soda is not the same as baking soda. For your pool and TA of 30, I would add about 50 oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash and then retest pH.

CHEMICALS:

Algecide
Active ingredients
- alkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...... 9.96%
- dialkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) methyl benzyl ammonium chloride......0.04%
Inert ingredients...... 90%

Balance pak 300 (for raising calcium hardness)
* I can't find ingredient list on this anywhere*

Alkalinity rise
- sodium hydrogen carbonate

3" tablets (stabilized chlorinator)
Active ingredient
- trichloro-s-trianzinetrione........ 99%
Other ingredients........ 1%

What does your water look like? What is your pH?

I couldn't make the photo stay on screen long enough to see what you had.

Water is clear and clean! Wish it felt more like a saltwater pool though....

- - - Updated - - -

If that's the case, I would definitely increase that into the mid-7's by using washing soda or soda ash...quickly. Note that washing soda is not the same as baking soda. For your pool and TA of 30, I would add about 50 oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash and then retest pH.

Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

Just dump it in the deep end with pump running? Do I need to keep kids out of the pool for a certain amount of time?

(this is my first pool so please bear with me while I ask dumb questions!)

- - - Updated - - -

What other chemicals, brand and type, should I have on hand?

Could your post the ingredients from each of the chemicals?

Do you have a SWG? If not, that CYA could use a bit of adjustment down.

Your FC is close to the bare minimum for your CYA, so you do need to get some bleach in there soon.

See this chart:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

See also:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

And:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

Thank you for the links!! How do I tell when my pool needs more salt? And how much to add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bostonbull, it looks like your pool suffered a pH/TA crash, which is normally due to using tabs/pucks.

As Bo mentioned, you do need to address the pH and TA ASAP. Once you get he pH in the mid 7's, retest the TA before you adjust it.

- - - Updated - - -

oh! congrats on getting the kit :whoot:

Bostonbull said:
CHEMICALS:

Algecide
Active ingredients
- alkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...... 9.96%
- dialkyl (60% c14, 30% c16, 5% c12, 5% c18) methyl benzyl ammonium chloride......0.04%
Inert ingredients...... 90%

Balance pak 300 (for raising calcium hardness)
* I can't find ingredient list on this anywhere*

Alkalinity rise
- sodium hydrogen carbonate

3" tablets (stabilized chlorinator)
Active ingredient
- trichloro-s-trianzinetrione........ 99%
Other ingredients........ 1%

Thanks for posting the label information :goodjob:

Toss the Balance Pak 300 and the algaecide. You never want to add anything to your pool without knowing what's in it and the impact it will have on the pool.

Keep the Alkalinity Rise and the 3" trichlor tabs. The Alkalinity Rise is repackaged baking soda which can be labeled sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate and can be used to increase TA. When this product runs out, I would get baking soda at the grocery store or warehouse club which will likely save you $. The tabs can be temporarily used to keep the pool chlorinated when it will be unattended for more than a couple of days.

Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

Just dump it in the deep end with pump running? Do I need to keep kids out of the pool for a certain amount of time?

This is likely the brand that will be easiest to find:

It's shouldn't cause any distress to anyone once it's thoroughly mixed in the pool. Like any powdered additive, I prefer to dissolve it in a bucket of warm water first and then pour the solution in, so that the granules don't sink to the bottom before they dissolve.

What should I set the right column "target" to? Leave at defaults?

Go down toward the bottom of the worksheet and there's a row titled "Suggested Goal Levels." Click on the pull-down list for "Use suggested goal levels from:" and select "Troublefreepool.com". Then set the primary source of chlorine and the pool surface type. Be aware though that you need to add your own data into the sheet for some of the goals to be correct; e.g. your FC goal is dependent upon the existing CYA level.

You can then use the suggested goals to set your target values.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.