Splash Clear Problems

Jul 24, 2014
Waldron
Hey folks, first I guess a hello is due, as I'm brand new in here. Anyway I have a large above ground Splash Clear Pool with a salt water chlorine generator system. It has been pretty much maintenance free for the 5 years we've owned it, except for the usual cleaning of the cell each year. We had a really bad storm roll through yesterday and we got almost 4 inches of rain in just over an hour, that brought the water level up from about 4 inches below the top to a point it was over flowing. This morning when I went out to check things out and get all the leaves and **** out of it, I noticed the inspect cell light was on and the low salt light was on steady. It was also telling me that my salt content was only 600 when just yesterday it was at 3100. I knew that couldn't be right, so having not cleaned the the cell in quite a while I pulled it and it did have a slight build up of crust on it so I mixed up some acid and cleaned the cell real good. It looked real clean after that so I reinstalled it. After giving it a few minutes to run, I checked it and sure enough the inspect cell light was on steady and so was the low salt light, but this time the salt content reading was down to 200. I had some other pressing chores to take care of (downed tree limbs) so I let the pump run for 3 or 4 hours.

When I got back to look at it again, the both lights are on steady again and the salt content is now showing zero. I tried to do a recal on it by using the instructions for a Hayward Aqua Rite controller; they appear to be the exact same controller with the same buttons and everything. It did not work for me though, when I get to the step where it shows the - minus sign and should start showing a run down of numbers, it only shows a zero, just as it does for the content display. Have any of you experienced this particular malfunction? I'm thinking the cell has gone bad on me but that's a lot of money to be shot gunning parts. The system I have is the Splashclear GoldLine SP-18 Cell.

Wow, I just did a little price shopping on line and holy cow they want 729.00 for a replacement GoldLine SP-18 Cell! Looking around I can buy a complete Aquarite AquaTrol HP Chlorine Generator 120V brand new for 599.00. That's probably the route I'll go rather than spending over 700 bucks on just a replacement cell. Any advise before I break the bank will be appreciated.

Hi there,
I know with my SWG, there is a way to re-set it after you get any type of error message, such as the inspect cell one. Let me see if I can find the directions in my manual.

Mine is an Aqua Rite and the only thing I could find was how to reset it after the "inspect cell" comes on: "To maintain maximum performance, it is recommended that you open and visually inspect the cell every 3 months or after cleaning your filter. The Aqua Rite® will remind you to do this by flashing the "Inspect Cell" LED after approximately 500 hours of
operation. After you inspect the cell (and clean, if necessary) press the small "diagnostic" button next to the display for 3 seconds to stop the flashing "Inspect Cell" LED and start the timer for the next 500 hours."

The manual can be found here: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaRite&AquaRiteXL.pdf

If you have a Leslie's near you, they do free cell inspection (if you trust them to do it).

Thanks, I have tried to reset it with the user manual, but it's simply not doing what it should, nor would it recalibrate for me. With 5 years already on it and the price they wanted for a new cell, I went ahead and ordered a new system from Aquarite for a hundred and fifty bucks cheaper than what Splashclear wanted for a new cell. I'll be poking around in here from time to time, there seems to be a lot of info in here that could be very useful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.